Nooobeeee

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iceman

Reaction score
Hi all. Been a lurker for the last while so its time to show my typeface and introduce myself.
I bought a 2010 D40 ST AT a month ago and loved it at once. Since then it has been quite the saga! :(
After a week it starte making a bit of noise, nothing to much, juse a bit more than i would expect. After two weeks the noise was way worse so brought it to my mechanic who said it was the dreaded timing chain. Grrrrrr
Went to pissan who said whatever you do DONT drive it! GRRRRR. Poked the dealer i got it from with a sharp stick and he agreed to do it under warrenty, technically he doesnt have to as it was purchased by my business. Supposed to get it back this weekend so fingers crossed. It only has 150000 k on it so peeved. The best bit was Pissan stealership wanted $ 1000 just to take it apart and see what was wrong:wristy: rant over.
Anyway delighted to find this forum an have absorbed a brainfull of valuble information. Looking forward to meeting you all.
Cheers all, will let you know how it goes.
Aaron

Welcome. Out of curiosity, does anyone know what the service interval for the timing chain replacement should be?

Welcome. Out of curiosity, does anyone know what the service interval for the timing chain replacement should be?

Not so much an interval but i would start to check regularly it from 100,000km and every 10-15K after that, a good mechanic should only charge you about $600 to check it (still pricey i know, but it's a bit of a pain in the ass in labour just go get to it apparently, hence Nissans $1000 charge).

I really wanted to get a second hand D40 and i looked for months, but the timing chain issues and the injector replacement costs for anything with 100,000km on it or more put me off.

Timing chain replacement is around $2500 (I think it's $3000 at Nissan) and injectors are approx $1000ea.

So anything in the low 100K's mark has approx $7k worth of upcoming maintenance on it IF you don't completely destroy a timing chain and lunch the motor completely. (Sounds like Icemans motor was ever so close to that)

The amount of environment and diesel the YD25 has supposedly saved it will cost this earth in recycling it, $7000, there's your carbon tax right there. At $1.62/L for diesel thats 4321L of extra diesel you could have put in it. Or 83L EXTRA per week (the tank isn't 83L). So if you do 100,000km a year, it's cheaper to run an F250........

/end rant

Sorry for your inconvenience Iceman, i hope it doesn't cost you a penny to resolve it.

Just heard back from the mechanics and stooopid nissan had only sent half the parts to them... Wont get it back until mid week now. At least they are doing both chains and all the other bits.
Anyway thanks for the welcomes guys, really looking forward to getting to know you all!
Even though i only had the truck for just under two weeks i have a list of mods as long as mr tickles arms. Already had the egr block and a catch can in place. Next it will have to be a little lift, propper wheels and tyres, and a whole lot more. I would also like to do a respray. The paint is perfect but just cant take the shitty silver for too long. Thinking of very dark purple with a pearl clear over it. Thoughts?

I had mine fully resprayed and the cost was somewhat exxy, good thing I wasnt paying . It cost over $14k plus parts to do a full respray, well we didnt paint under the tub liner as it wasnt needed.
Just remember the darker the colour the more you have to wash it and if its a 4x4 then you will cry if you get any bush pin striping on it .

Back