no horn, battery & hand brake always on, battery vol15.56

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sami_b

Reaction score
hi guys,
another problem with my d40.

problems begin 2 or 3 months ago, the horn sometimes work and some time no. i changed it ,changed also the horn relay but the problem persists.
sinc two days BATTERY & HAND BRAKE lights don t turn off when driving.
I tested battery voltage in idle I got 15.56V which is very high and dangerous .
i disconnected the alternator and lights on dashboard go away.
today I changed the alternator (non oem) (don t find the regulator) but the problem still there !!!!

need your help !!!!

thanks

The regulator is part of the alternator. Manual says its output is DC (alternators produce AC). Proper regulation requires that terminal 1 of the alternator (heavy cable) is connected through the 140A fusible link and terminal 4 is connected through a 15A fuse directly to the battery (it monitors voltage via this).

I'd check the 15A fuse (fuse 30, it's called in the manual, it doesn't say WHERE it is). I'd guess it's either in the box behind the battery - it shouldn't be on the alternator, because you've changed the alternator and still have the problem.

I'd also check the earth connection from the battery negative to the engine and chassis, make sure they're clean and making good contact.

Do you have idea how the voltage must be ? More or less than 15v? Could you find it in the manual ?

16V is way too high for a lead acid battery. There are many sites explaining lead acid battery charge rates and 15V is considered high. 16V is going to boil the battery acid destroying the battery.

The ESM defines the appropriate range for a properly functioning alternator (p22 of SC.PDF) as 12.8 to 15.1V. The system generally runs at around 14.3 to 14.4V but should not be more than 14.7V.

Back