Nissan D22 - 3 blown turbos

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d_ando

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a 2004 Nissan Navara D22 and have blown 3 turbos. The last turbo only travelled 100km's before it blew up.

Can anyone provide me with some ideas on where to start??

oil test. check for diesel in the oil.

otherwise need to know what actually failed in the turbo. where they replaced with new ones or rebuilt?

Bearing seized in all 3 turbos. Do you think a 2 1/2" dump pipe might have somethign to do with this??

dump pipe makes no difference.

bearing seized......... highly likely to have fuel in oil (spill line connections under the rocker cover sometimes leak) or oil line to turbo is blocked. someone here did have an oil pipe which looked "blued" which was clogged with crap.

I have cleaned out both oil lines to the top & bottom of turbo. None of them seemed to have anything in them. How do I check for fuel in the oil?
The exhaust is a straight thru with a 2.5 inc dump pipe. This is the only thing I have changed prior to blowing the 1st turbo.
I am running Shell Rrimula R4 Premium oil 15-40W (as recommended by Shell)
I have a boost guage and it is boosting at 16 pounds.

get the oil tested. local mechanics should know of an oil testing crowd to send a sample to.

Thanks. I will look into this.
I need to find the reason why the turbo keeps blowing as it has been expensive to fix 3 turbos now. I have also recently replaced the clutch and the air conditioner pulley. Maybe I should just sell the car.

i wouldn't sell it just yet. better the devil you know than the one you don't ;)

if its not fuel in the oil and you have good oil pressure and flow at the turbo oil pipes then its possible the repair company stuffed up the repair.

like the ^ posts...sounds too much like no lube or contamination

have you checked to see if there is actually oil flow and pressure at the turbo?

assuming you have the turbo removed, fit a oil pressure gauge in the oil outlet and start her up.

Welcome to the forum.

It sounds like one of 3 things to me:

1) Failed oil feed as mentioned previously.

2) Fuel in the oil as mentioned previously.

3) Inadequate cooldown after high boost levels. If you have a habit of caning the vehicle and then come to a stop and just turn the engine off immediately - like you could with a petrol car - it's going to burn the oil inside the bearings very quickly.

Latest posts

Back