newbie to 4x4 what accessories to buy?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim.duncan

Reaction score
Hey Guys

haven't owned a 4x4 before and hopefully will have me first in the next few weeks (if all goes to plan)

not really keen on crazy off road stuff more 4x4 tracks and beaches as hoping to do lots of surfing and camping

what sort of accessories are a must to carry?

had a chat to the guy at ARB and he suggested

tyre puncture kit
portable air compressor kit
snatch strap

to get me started

Welcome aboard, if that hasn't been said before.

I'd also get four recovery hooks mounted - 2 on the front, 2 on the rear. Get yourself some 4.75T bow shackles (2 would be a good start). Don't off-road with that gear unless you're with someone else - you can't snatch yourself out of trouble!

Make sure that compressor is a GOOD one. Expect to pay around the $300 mark for it. The cheaper ones really are inadequate.

I wouldn't worry about a puncture kit if your only doing short trips and your spare is in good nick.

If you're hitting the beaches get an ARB tyre deflator, worth their weight in gold. Definately a compressor and snatch strap. Get a good shovel too!

cheers guys, looks to be a good forum, thanks for making me feel welcome!

are snorkels just for river crossings? are these fairly common when off rd?

the portable compressor kit from ARB was $365. Would i be better off just mouting one to the car instead of portable?

cheers guys, looks to be a good forum, thanks for making me feel welcome!

are snorkels just for river crossings? are these fairly common when off rd?

the portable compressor kit from ARB was $365. Would i be better off just mouting one to the car instead of portable?

Yes the snorkle is mainly for deep river crossings, it can also give you a lame horse more power because of the cooler air intake. I recommend the ARB compressor, I don't like the idea of mounting under the bonnet, too hot IMO, some guy's mount them under the passenger seat, but the heavy current draw requires heavy duty wiring. I'd just use it as a portable and see if it becomes too much of a PITA.

ALL COMES DOWN TO $$$

eg. if $2000... go to arb/tjm and say mate iv got $2000 and want to go beaching and camping what do u recommend?

items above are good items

i prefer to fix mount the compressor. mainly because you can wire it in properly and not put up with crappy clips. if you get really fancy fit external outlets so you don't have to have bonnet/door open to plug the air hose in.

the other critical thing is a shovel. even if its a small fold up, tho a long handle one is better.

whats commonly forgotten is to fit recovery points.

bash plates!
The first beach outing I ever did was to stockton, and I cracked my radiator on a wash out. A bash plate would have stopped that happening.

In terms of spares, make sure you are carrying a decent toolkit, and the knowledge to use it at least in a basic capability. Carry some polysteel (or other metal and plastic bondo/epoxy) a gas soldering iron and cable ties for hose or other minor plastic welding, some tie wire... spare water and oil.

really the list will grow as you get experience and see what others are carrying and what you needed and didnt have.

Things like winches and snorkels arent essentials on the beach.

Welcome Tim ... the guys have already given good advise, so i'll just add a welcome only ...

loads of good information and friendly folk to give good advise .

Welcome Tim.

If you have a Hayman reece type towbar, you dont really need a recovery point on the rear, just use the pin for the towbar tounge through the mount.

Definitely recommend a recovery point on the front.

If you are going beaching, the boys have mostly covered it.
  • Air compressor, Quality one.
  • Decent shovel.
  • Tyre deflators.
  • Snatch strap.
  • 2 X Bow shackles.
  • UHF Radio.
  • Raise the rear diff breather, just use a tee piece and some fuel line to add it to the gearbox one as a temporary, youll need a new fitting for the rear diff also.

Thats about it, once you go out a bit, you'll see what others have and determine what you need.

Cheers.

Vaughan.

If you're going to use the pin, carry a spare couple of pins, or get a hitch receiver block. Snatching or winching off the pin alone can easily bend the pin. Won't happen every time, but it will happen just when you are towing and don't have a spare pin, blame Murphy for that one.

Ditto the shovel, I forgot that one. I suppose you could also look at a set of Maxx Traxx and an inflatable jack - but if you're going to use one of those, block your EGR.

Snorkels are used for 3 things: dunking in water, cooler air and CLEANER air. Heavy particles don't go up that high usually, so the intake (rather than being in the hot engine bay in amongst all that dust) is up in dry, cool, clean air. Can't say that's a bad thing and induction noise is sweet!

What about stuff like a complete set of belts and houses?

Hmm, actually I never needed in any of them for the 26 years of vanning, except the local garage guy knew they were there and would use them if needed to get on with the job

Snorkels; i thought the other use was for getting cleaner air above the dust cloud if you are following other people. Well, that is what i've been telling the missus to pave the way/reduce the resistance.

Hi tim and welcome, as the guys have said there is a number of things you will need to start with, but don't stress to much if you don't have it all prior to your first outing.Try to travel with others the first few times, you will find something else you will need each time. Make sure you have a shovel if you go on a beach, I found out the hard way my first time. You will find other 4x4 drivers are usually more than willing to help if you get stuck. (yes they will take the piss out of you). Again welcome.

"a gas soldering iron and cable ties for hose or other minor plastic welding"

Now I am intrigued - apart from the cable ties which are handy what the heck are you going to do with a gas soldering iron!

For first time beach exploration on a budget I reckon:
1) go with someone experienced who has gear and learn! (do a course if you can afford it)
2) tyre pressure gauge +/-$20 (so you know when you have dropped to the right pressure)
2) air compressor (my supa cheap $175 job has worked reliably for years)
3) Long handle shovel $40 from Bunnings

Number 1 is the most important a snatch strap wont help you if your alone, secondly dont run before you can walk, ie tackle the easier stuff first and learn what you and the 4X can do, dont go straight for the softest beach sand or steepest hill climb. If you are going onto the beach remember that getting on is usually easier than getting off. Ie descending is easier than climbing on sand. Also know what the tide is doing, if you go onto a narrow beach track at low tide you better know when the tide will be coming in and where/when you should be getting off.

Otherwise welcome and enjoy the new 4X. You will have lots of fun and the odd moment of "oh sh&*(!"

While it may seem an intriguing question about the soldering iron, I carry one and I carry the bottle to refill it plus solder, tape and cable ties of various sizes as well as a small amount of spare wiring.

Something might happen - eg a rock flicks up, smacks the back of the electrical connector to the trailer and damages the wiring, blowing several fuses (brakes, indicators, park lamps, reverse lamps - these can all be wired through this plug). There may be a need to repair that before you continue, particularly if you don't like persistent loud wails and those pesky flashing blue lights in your rear view mirror.

you're missing the second use of a gas soldering iron tony... its a plastic welder!

if you crack an end tank on a radiator, air intake or lots of other pipes and tanks... you will discover most of them are plastic these days. Easiest way to repair? take a cable tie, and warm the edges of the hole, then melt the cable tie into the sides, working your way toward the middle. Much better than glue to tape or any other method for repairing plastics.

I learnt this from years of riding dirtbikes, and found it works just as well with 4wds.

but yeah, you can also use it to solder!

I've tried my hand at plastic welding and I either end up with a nice pool of smoking, stinking liquid below what I was working on or I'm pulling out a fire extinguisher. Doesn't seem to be a lot of middle ground there for me, so I've equipped myself with radiator putty, rescue tape and other things that I don't have to ignite to get me out of trouble!

Back