Need some advice!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alphabet

Reaction score
I have been offered a casual job out at the gas pipelines 2 on 2 off catching animals... My dream job! The problem is I'm leaving a full time job on the sunny coast( hard to come by) that i have recently just come back to as a fall back due to the coal industry down turn but I hate it, if I leave it again I don't think they will take me back again. I'm trying to figure out a way of leaving without burning bridges?

:violin2:

If you're good at what you do and they need whatever service you are offering providing you don't tell them to F off as you're leaving on your last day they will take you back. You can only go with your head and if the new job is what you want now you may as well take it.

Full time work is alot safer then casual work, atm I am casual and have nearly the whole week off, week before I did earn a fair bit so Im not going to run out of money or anything just I am so bored sitting here doing nothing.

I'm currently getting 22/hr if I head out I will be on 45. The big problem is they have already taken me back once, only 4 months ago. I am a good worker and they were more than happy to have me back... Not sure if it came to a second time it would be so easy.

Take the money off the table and take your fear of what the current boss may do and look again at which job is the most attractive.

No one knows where they will be in 5 months, 5 years or 5 decades, wondering if the current boss (if he is still there) will take you back may be unfairly shadowing the better job, it may not too but you'll never know and may well regret that if you don't consider all angles. You also don't know if you will want to or need to go back to the current job.

If you're going just tell the boss, be honest, tell him why, don't mention better pay and better conditions etc just tell him it's because it's what you really want to do but your time working there was good and may like to return again one day. If he's a decent boss he will have made up his mind about your future prospects before you've finished your spiel.

If only more people thought like you :big_smile:

The best thing about such a decision is that if you enjoy yourself there is little that will make you think you chose the wrong option, if the work turns to shit and you hate all those you work with you'll think you made the wrong discussion. So in actuality no matter which decision you make at some time you might consider both of them being wrong.......isn't that helpful advice :sarcastic:

I gotta say having been through both sides of the interview process on many occasions there is little I hate more than an interviewer asking "where do you see yourself in 5 years" and it's something I have never asked to a prospective employee whilst conducting interviews. No one knows where they will be and if a decent interviewer can't get a good idea about a prospective employees future plans through decent questions they don't deserve to be doing interviews.

+1 on go with your heart and don't burn your bridges as you go.

Especially if you are young and have no commitments. Otherwise, you'll forever have regrets.

When you get older, you can decide if it was a wise thing to do, but unless you do it, you won't have the experience to know. (???) or something like that.

Only thing to be prepared for is the increased cost of living or is this a FIFO because no silly bugger would live there permanently?

It's fly in fly out mate.. Unfortunately I'm not young...36 is not young I think? I'm looking at the fact that I have am doing a job I don't enjoy and have a chance to so something I will enjoy. Like krafty,180 and yourself have said I really do t want to look back and think what if. I do have responsibilities, no children though and live in a area that's hard to find full time work.

+1 on not burning bridges. How long is the gas work scheduled for, 6 months? You could ask the boss for unpaid leave. Truth is better than fiction, if you tell him the truth he might be sore about it but if he needs you when you return he'll take you back. If you bullshit to him, you've lit the bridge.

Who knows what opportunities the new job will bring, too. You might start with just a few months' work, but they may send you somewhere else for the next lot. There are a lot of animals out there!

I agree tony, I've gone through a few scenarios in my head and it always come back to telling the truth... Asking for leave without pay and see what he says. On the flip side if things another company is trying to poach me from the company I haven't even started with so there must be a lot of animals to be caught. Thanks for all the advice guys, it has help me come to the right choice, I think!:dummy:

Latest posts

Back