Navara! Can I do it?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CalebOffroad

Reaction score
Hey guys got one simple question..
First off! HELLLO!!! I am new around here, good to have a chat... Anyway here we go.
I need to replace my rubbish arse jeep that I have atm. So I have decided to take a loan out to get a decent car that I like.
Budget is $20000 including mods rego and insurance.
What I need:
Nissan Navara
4x4 Diesel Auto
Lift Kit above 2"
Sound System Fronts, Sub, Amps
33" Tyres and Rims

Question is can I do it?

auto means d40
for 20k with mods you listed
i dont think so
d22 for that money is possible

welcome

+1 from Sparra - be getting a fricking good deal for a decent D40 for $20k. but goodluck

Well that's disappointing, what about exchanging some mods for car price, or adding slightly more to the budget? Or buying a pre modified d40?

If you plan on doing decent offroading you'll get further in a D22 anyway... Ducking for cover right now....

It's obviously going to depend on age, for $20K with those mods you wont get any new ute so it's just a matter of looking at what is available in the second hand market. A D40 for $20K is entirely possible but it's going to be a few years old.

As Krafty said it will be one of two things that will get the price down, 1) an older model
or (2) will have a few Km's on the clock, once they get in excess of 180k the price plummets.

Well I have owned Driven both Manual and Automatic 4x4 and i have to say IMO I think auto is a much more enjoyable car to drive on the beach in the mud and on the trails.. I have also owned a manual street car and that is where manual is required.. but personally I want auto, and you can tell me the benefits of manual all you want but.. thats you not me!!

I am deff not looking for a new one and one that is quite old also doesn't bother me.. As long as its working order and does everything I need it to do the kms don't bother me much ether at the end of the day its a diesel..

Just keep an eye on carsales etc and focus on D40's in your price range and compare like to like. You might get lucky and find everything you want for the price you want but you might have to keep your options open and look for a vehicle without the mods and work up to them. There is no exact answer as to what you will find unfortunately but I'm sure you'll find there is choice out there.

Welcome to the forum!

There are a couple of major, major differences between the Jeep and the Navara that you need to know about before jumping ship too.

Navaras have a MUCH longer wheelbase and the D40 wears around 100mm extra on the D22. The D40 is also wider than the D22 by a small margin.

Both are very capable off-road utes. We just went and did some 4WDing again in the Barringtons - one was a stock height STX550 (D40) that only touched the middle on a couple of occasions. That's the trick with these over the jeep - clambering over obstacles because of the longer wheelbase.

It does depend on the model of Jeep you're talking about - but a lot of the ones I've seen have a much shorter wheelbase than my D40. It will mean you might change some of your off-roading.

I did a quick search on carsales.com.au and the first one I hit was this one. I'm sure you could find a lot more there - enjoy!

The Jeep I used to drive was a WJ Grand Cherokee. So wouldn't be too much of a difference. Yea I am happy to work towards mods but deff would prefer to have the major ones at the beginning.

I have also owned a manual street car and that is where manual is required.. but personally I want auto, and you can tell me the benefits of manual all you want but.. thats you not me!!

I think people were just saying get a d22 for the $$$,,, BUT they only come in a Manual Nissan do not release the D22 with an Auto box.

WJ Grand Cherokee has a 2690mm wheelbase, the D40 I found (dual cab) has a 2949mm wheelbase - that's 250mm which is over twice the reason why the D22 drivers keep giving us D40 drivers so much curry! :rofl:

The one I found had steel wheels (not so good if you're doing corrugations a lot) but it had a steel bar and brushbars plus canopy so it was part of the way there.

The one I found had steel wheels (not so good if you're doing corrugations a lot) but it had a steel bar and brushbars plus canopy so it was part of the way there.

That one you pointed out actually looked pretty good Tony, not a bad start point when you add up what $$ the bar work and canopy cost to buy new.

that second one is cheap enough for you to add a few goodies and being a STX has more gadgets, carpet, cruise control, power windows ect.

Just remember to have a good listen to the Timing chain on any yd25 powered nav, if it does need replacing you will need to spend around 1500- 2k to replace it.

Latest posts

Back