My Gearbox Cross-member/ support is cracked.. WTF!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MickDooit

Reaction score
:pissedoff:

So I'm putting this out to see if it's happened to anyone else before. I have noticed recently that my car had a clicking sound when powering and backing off, I was told that was indicative of universal joints, so i bought some new ones and installed them, thanks to people's advice on the forums and what not it all went smoothly.

went for a drive and straight away i noticed the clicking again. SHIT!

Anyway, I crawled under the car and looked again, shaking everything and looking around until i noticed a small sliver of rubber coming out of the gearbox support mounting, I picked it out and thought, that might be the reason, the rubber falling out the metals clicking on each other, so i got my torch and gazed around at it, then i noticed and bolt that was awkwardly attached........

The three bolts attaching the gearbox mounting to the cross-member have somehow cracked the cross-member, and by cracked i mean, proper cracked, like a whole chunk of metal the size of a 20c piece is just missing, popped out... I have no idea how this has happened, I've done 4x4ing, but nothing like driving the cape and millions of corrugations, I've done a bit of fun stuff and i've got 2 inches of lift nothing crazy, but i've got a cracked gearbox cross member.

what makes it the best is my car is out of warranty, but i've complained to nissan for years that my car has drive train slap, my fifth gear pops out randomly, my cross-member bolts also fell out in the first 1000kms i did in the car from new and they fixed that at the 1000 tighten-up.

anyone had any experience with this, heard of it or got any ideas?!

I'm planning on going back to nissan and getting them to replace it anyway, I don't like my chances but I'm still going to go back to them with it.

If you've complained about it before and the damage appears to not be fresh (and doesn't appear to be from landing the vehicle on a rock!) then it would be fair for Nissan to fix it.

I've not noticed that sort of sound with mine and this is the first report of this that I can recall. Let us know how you go!

When i really put the foot down or when towing a decent load i get what sounds like a rattling sound everytime. cant put my finger on it. Its doesn't sound like clicking but might have a look at the gearbox now.

TheOx said:
When i really put the foot down or when towing a decent load i get what sounds like a rattling sound everytime. cant put my finger on it. Its doesn't sound like clicking but might have a look at the gearbox now.

Ox, the rattling, does it spun tinny?
It's probably your brake lines on your firewall. I had that too. The pop out of the clips.

Directly under the brake booster the lines rub down the wall. Look up and you'll see the rigid lines and they may be popped out of the clips around the same area as where your pedals are.

Let me know how you get in or if you want photos.

Latest posts

Back