Murray Darling Basin Plan, Your Thoughts?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Expenses are very high,

I would'nt dispute that for a minute.

And Krankin, I reiterate my words previously that Farmers rely on the environment to survive, so It quite simply isnt in a Farmers interests to abuse it.
So then for the purpose of this debate,ie:, and keep in mind the nature of the land and this country, (dry and without water)
that the farming of rice primarily for exportation (I've not seen australian grown ice in any shops here) is in the interest of the land,
and in fact is abuse of the land, collective enviroment.

Funny you havent seen any Australian grown Rice here perhaps thats because there hasnt been any water to grow it?

Havent you just answered your own question? When there isnt Any water we dont grow rice.

Absolutely agree will, but farmers aren't allocated water if it isnt there!

Consider this for a second, if no farmers existed in the basin and the river still went dry do you think the government would still take the same approach?

Well, they are given un-sustainable allocations right now. isn't that how we got into this mess in the first place?

if it went dry without farmers taking water then this approach would be lunacy. are you saying you believe farm water usage from the Murray isn't the reason the river has died? surely you don't believe that?

Well, they are given un-sustainable allocations right now. isn't that how we got into this mess in the first place?

if it went dry without farmers taking water then this approach would be lunacy. are you saying you believe farm water usage from the Murray isn't the reason the river has died? surely you don't believe that?

Given a river is simply a median for water to drain into the ocean it is entirely possible for its levels to vary, and without dams to sustain its flow the situation would be far worse.

I beleive drought is the main factor, not farmers. Farmers dont access water when it isnt there.

Last edited:
I Dont know either whether he means collectively or not either but I really wouldnt be surprised... Expenses are very high, Consider that just a Header costs around 500,000 to $750,000.

Did you even read the rest of my post? Or Haydos for that mater? WTF has the cost of a Header got to do with contributing to the environment?

Try reading the WHOLE post AND understand it before you start typing.

And Krankin, I reiterate my words previously that Farmers rely on the environment to survive, so It quite simply isnt in a Farmers interests to abuse it.

Oh, but they do! Australian and indeed the world's history is littered with farmers with very honorable intentions clearing land, using toxic chemicals, introducing feral pests, mass planting of crops that are incompatable with the environment and so on, only to find out when it's too late that they were acting on wrong presumptions and advice. And, very often, they also fight like hell to be able to continue doing "what they have allways done".

Sort of like this

Let me put it in these terms to the people who have never set foot in the lives of a farmer, how would you react to someone walking in and threatening to take away 45% of your assets and income?

Given a river is simply a median for water to drain into the ocean it is entirely possible for its levels to vary, and without dams to sustain its flow the situation would be far worse.

I beleive drought is the main factor, not farmers. Farmers dont access water when it isnt there.

rivers cease to be rivers if they don't drain / flow to the sea. they become a lake or body of water - or not. the Murray hasn't "flowed" to sea for years, it's mouth is dredged and sea water largely flows in. without the dams and barges the river (at least the lower river) would be salty. how good do you suppose that is for irrigation?

Funny that,
the Goulburn Valley and all of Vic has been in drought for over the last ten and a bit years with most storages empty, and no rain.

But the GV, has produced in every one of those drought years, how?
by draining the bejesus out of the goulburn river/eildon storage.

Thats ok, the farmer 200k's nrth says, thats what its built for,
but what about all the townships on that lake that perished cause the water level disapeared.

The lake didnt drain cause of the drought, it was max cap before the drought.

Farmer joe drained it. Is farmer joe going to reinburse the dead townships for losses incurred cause farmer joe took their livelyhood away.

I've not seen any aussie rice in australia, because it exported o/s.

rivers cease to be rivers if they don't drain / flow to the sea. they become a lake or body of water - or not. the Murray hasn't "flowed" to sea for years, it's mouth is dredged and sea water largely flows in. without the dams and barges the river (at least the lower river) would be salty. how good do you suppose that is for irrigation?

Also this has seen to the demise in numbers of the once mighty Murray cod in that its greatly reduced breeding capacity because the Barham red gum forest cant flood anymore from all the weirs upstream.

*Removed quoted text*

Great first post.....GOD has spoken

hang on a sec while i go get some popcorn:sarcastic::sarcastic::sarcastic:

Last edited by a moderator:
*Removed quoted text*

if you knew anything about any of us here or for that matter what your talkin about,
half of your post would be deleted.

You keep saying that and it's starting to really piss me off.
It's only "not been there" relatively recently for the upstream farmers. It's been "not there" for years down stream" but that ok cos while it "was still there" upstream EXPORT crops were sowed, harvested and exported meaning even less went down stream.

DOWNSTREAM the river is a VITAL water supply for domestic use. Our population is steadily rising putting more and more strain on it. If action isnt taken to ensure water IS there we're screwed. But that's apparently OK, while it's there you go right on exporting our water.

The Murray is not merely a "drain" It's a living breathing eco-system. One of the biggest in the country. One that we all depend on and ITS DYING!!!!!!!!!!

Yes drought is a major factor and in days gone by the river dried up and flooded most years. but that was the natural order for the river. We didnt like that much at all so we installed locks and held the water for irrigation. Now the river no longer dries up but it doesn't flood properly.Which means it doesn't flush itself either. That's why we need to maintain "enviromental flows.

I've not seen any aussie rice in australia, because it exported o/s.

This is becoming a bit of a Joke. Pior to the Drought all Rice sold in Australia was Grown in Australia. Quite frankly you clearly have absolutely no knowledge of rice growing whatsoever, so do yourself a favour and drop the issue of rice now before you continue to embarress yourself.

*Removed quoted text*

Oh, how could i have forgotten, please fogrive me sir,
but

:welcome: to this fine establisment the Navara forum,
please enjoy your stay here....

:flowers::flowers:

You keep saying that and it's starting to really piss me off.
It's only "not been there" relatively recently for the upstream farmers. It's been "not there" for years down stream" but that ok cos while it "was still there" upstream EXPORT crops were sowed, harvested and exported meaning even less went down stream.

DOWNSTREAM the river is a VITAL water supply for domestic use. Our population is steadily rising putting more and more strain on it. If action isnt taken to ensure water IS there we're screwed. But that's apparently OK, while it's there you go right on exporting our water.

The Murray is not merely a "drain" It's a living breathing eco-system. One of the biggest in the country. One that we all depend on and ITS DYING!!!!!!!!!!

Yes drought is a major factor and in days gone by the river dried up and flooded most years. but that was the natural order for the river. We didnt like that much at all so we installed locks and held the water for irrigation. Now the river no longer dries up but it doesn't flood properly.Which means it doesn't flush itself either. That's why we need to maintain "enviromental flows.

Considering as I've previously said it takes 12mL of water to transfer 1mL of water to SA, if we don't have the water here you certainly dont. Is that a fault of ours?

Given that Dams such as blowering and Burrinjuck were, built and engineered for farming irrigation, how can you consider diverting this captured water to the river environmental? It was never there in the first place.

who'd have thought us city slickers would drive Navara's and our outback farmers drive Monaro's & R33 Skylines. Fark this country is backwards!!!!!:sarcastic:

who'd have thought us city slickers would drive Navara's and our outback farmers drive Monaro's & R33 Skylines. Fark this country is backwards!!!!!:sarcastic:

Lol this is the best you can come up with and you think you understand the Country/Farmers...

Considering as I've previously said it takes 12mL of water to transfer 1mL of water to SA, if we don't have the water here you certainly dont. Is that a fault of ours?

If you consume our 12ml you bet it is.

And here we come to the crux of it.

I'm all right and I dont give a rats if your not. All the farmers down here thank you for YOUR loyalty and care.

This is becoming a bit of a Joke. Pior to the Drought all Rice sold in Australia was Grown in Australia. Quite frankly you clearly have absolutely no knowledge of rice growing whatsoever, so do yourself a favour and drop the issue of rice now before you continue to embarress yourself.

Yes, ok , no one knows more than the man on the land, but since YOU instigated the thread and it appears your not happy with the overwhelming support that rice growing/export in this country is a no no,
then well, tuff.

move on. lock the thread.

Lol this is the best you can come up with and you think you understand the Country/Farmers...

not trying to "Come up with" anything mate. i'm sick of getting nowhere discussing this issue / topic with you now. there is no way we are going to agree on this topic so i posted something stupid. :suicide2:

All you really want is an ARGUMENT dont you?

HE WAS JOKING!!!!!!!!the :sarcastic: was a dead givaway.
I agree with WILL
I'm done with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back