Maximum tire difference with LSD

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickstanz

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Have been following this forum since i got my D40 a couple of months ago and its great, it's answered a lot of my questions! When i get a chance i will put up some information about my ride and hopefully be able to contribute a bit on here.

I have a question i cant find a definitive answer to though..

I run 18" rims with Nitto - Trail Grappler's (Mud terrains)- 285/65/R18 - 32.6" diameter - 102.3" circumference.

The spares i just brought are factory rims with Bridgestone Dueler Mud Terrains 285/75/R16 - 32.8" diameter - 103.1" circumference.

This equates to a 0.6% difference in diameter and a 0.8% difference in circumference.

Now my question is.. am i going to have trouble with my LSD if i need to run my spare tires? From what i have read, you shouldn't run different size tires. But as these are within 1%, i'm thinking they'll be okay? They will only ever be used as spares and be replaced as soon as possible but as i plan on heading to remote areas that could be a few km's away.

Let me know your thoughts guys, appreciate any help!

Cheers

6iwlqc.jpg

Navara D40 2007 (Spain Built) STX

Last edited:
It required approval for the attachment. It has an image in it that says "All Specs are in Inches" and Australia went metric in 1976, so it's odd that anyone this side of the black stump knows what an inch is.

It's quite amusing to walk in to Hardly Normal and berate the guys trying to flog last-century televisions for their choice of dimensions.

(actually, to be truthful, it's not the "inches" at all, it was just that the image came from elsewhere).

To provide one possible answer to your question: I'd only do that if necessary, and reduce the speed susbstantially. I'd not engage 4WD as it could cause binding/transfer chain damage and I would limit the distance travelled to an absolute minimum.

It will also depend on the tyre wear level. If the bridgestones are fairly worn and the nittos are fairly new, there's a good chance the rolling diameters will be similar. If possible, put it on the front and as above, limit 4wd use.

Talked to a few tire shops in town today and they all said dont worry about it, said that there is a slight chance but people do it all the time and they've never actually seen a LSD give up because of it, but in theory its not the best for them. So i'll be running them as spares i think. Cheers guys

Talked to a few tire shops in town today and they all said dont worry about it, said that there is a slight chance but people do it all the time and they've never actually seen a LSD give up because of it, but in theory its not the best for them. So i'll be running them as spares i think. Cheers guys

Guys on here run 33s all day long... No problems!!!

35 might be a different story..

Latest posts

Back