Loose feeling?!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

her.d22

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Not quite sure how to explain it but I'll give it a go.
For a little while now my Nav has had a loose feeling coming from the front end, more so the drivers side. Can feel more bumps and vibrations and it almost feels as though the driver front wheel is loose?! My first thoughts were a wheel buckle, wheels out of alignment/need balancing but not really sure? What are your thoughts?

More then likely a stuffed drag link, tie rod ends or maybe a lower ball joint, jump under Jack it up and have a play. Try seeing if there is movement in the front wheel while off the ground (both sideways and up and down). Up and down tends to indicate bearings and sideways would indicate tie rods ends or drag link.
I think almost everyone with a D22 has or will have a problem like this.

Merry Christmas

Ha ha could joke about the title but 2011-2012 22s had faulty body mounts replace with patrol mts from nizz bitts drag link??? lol

More then likely a stuffed drag link, tie rod ends or maybe a lower ball joint, jump under Jack it up and have a play. Try seeing if there is movement in the front wheel while off the ground (both sideways and up and down). Up and down tends to indicate bearings and sideways would indicate tie rods ends or drag link.
I think almost everyone with a D22 has or will have a problem like this.

Merry Christmas

Ha ha could joke about the title but 2011-2012 22s had faulty body mounts replace with patrol mts from nizz bitts drag link??? lol
Cheers guys. I'll jack it up tomorrow and have a look. Is that kinda stuff covered under warranty? Bearings are generally a wear and tear item but what about the others?

I'd be guessing and saying no but no harm in trying. Not a difficult fix if it turns out to be this things. Most people do it them selves. IV done a few.

Depends how bad it is. Parts vary I can get drag links for about $100 on eBay or if you go down a proper avenue you will pay $190-ish and up, tie rod ends are fairly cheap, check superior engineerings website they have all parts im talking about.
You won't know till it's off the ground what it maybe, could also by a lower ball joint, that's a harder one to fix and a bit more exy,

Shouldn't be too bad to drive on it though if your unsure, Don't. I drove around on my worn drag link for a couple of weeks, the biggest issue was loose steering.

Is there slop in your steering wheel? When turning left and right. Or is it more a sharp jarring feeling over small bumps??

Could always get the alignment checked, especially when you get new tyres. How many k's? I'm nearly up to 60k on my factory tyres and can't say I've noticed anything like that. They are just about due for replacement so I will be getting a new set after new years. Going to go 265/75s though, so a little bigger than stock...

I did have a look on here the other day about tightening the steering box up a bit though. There is a flat head bolt with a lock nut on top of the steering box, just under the battery. Loosen the lock nut and tighten the flat head bolt to tighten it up, the thread I found mentioned jacking the front end up and getting someone to turn the steering wheel while adjusting it to make sure it is smooth with no tight spots. Might be worth a try too...

Yep, going to have to. Want it sorted before the big trip.

It is possible to be the front body mount though that shouldn't effect steering in any way. That should also be covered in warranty though after a little push I'm sure.
Good luck let us know how you pan out.

It is possible to be the front body mount though that shouldn't effect steering in any way. That should also be covered in warranty though after a little push I'm sure.
Good luck let us know how you pan out.
Ok so I jacked it up and had a looks this morning. Jiggled the wheel up and down and what not, no slack. Had a look at the tie rods etc they all look ok. Took a few pics...

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1419633024058.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1419633024058.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 111
  • uploadfromtaptalk1419633132292.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1419633132292.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 107
I guess they can't adjust the freeplay in the steering box then? Good luck with nissan... :/

Latest posts

Back