Is there any device that can monitor your economy on a '03 ZD30?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robmacca

Reaction score
Guys... I believe that the Scangauge II unit doesn't work on the ZD30 model D22's, but is there any other device that can be fitted to the ZD30 to give you a economy reading, etc

Rob

I just use the trip computer, if its similar to the last tank all is good.

Good luck.

Joe found something the other day, I don't remember what protocols it was offering, I think it's in the review section, it might be something that works in older utes as well as newer ones.

Yeah based on the limited information on that site I don't think I'd risk buying it for a ZD30. All they say is "OBDII compatible" and "may work" but given the different protocols that can be used by different manufacturers I would suggest it might be a risk buying such a thing for the ZD30.

Infact while it may well work for the YD25 without written confirmation from the company I'd be suspect of buying it for the newer models too because it only lists the US 4.0L Frontier there is no 2.5, and while the ODB ports may be the same in both petrol and diesel models that doesn't mean the ability of such a tool to report things is going to be the same.

They blokes on the Pajero forum are happy with them so I will take the punt & let you guys know how it goes.

Mind you I was hoping someone else had already been the guinea pig.

Last edited:
I'm not saying they WONT work, but OBD is broken up into protocols manufacturers have to adhere to only one but they don't even have to adhere to the same one throughout production, they can chop and change as they wish.

In general they seem to stick to one they prefer but given the rules Mitsu don't have to use the same protocol as Nissan, Nissan don't have to use the same as Ford, and for that reason some of these devices may work, may not work or may only partially work. It's the protocol (and the ECU) that decides what is reported and what the device actually reports can be down to what the manufacturer concentrated on when developing the device.

When it comes to the ZD30 I seem to remember someone saying the OBD port is only partially compatible with OBDII protocols (might have only been the later models too) and that's why the newer models of these toys don't seem to work or only partially work with them.

Here's the email I got back from Ultra-gauge:

Rob,

If Scan Gauge does not work, then your vehicle is not likely OBDII compliant and no general OBDII device will function:
http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/TEN/compatibility.htm

Best Regards,
UltraGauge pre-sales support

Which pretty much rules out any chance of finding something that will work....

This is the link for Ultragauge.

http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/index.htm

There is a compatability chart but they are all US sold vehicles so I have no idea whether it would be suitable for yours.

I haven't bought it yet because I am waiting on the elusive windscreen mount to be in stock.

non-CRD ZD30 are ConsultI (via OBDII plug) and wont work with OBDII devices, only ECUTalk (and not really any other consult devices/software, since they arent designed for diesels).

CRD ZD30 are OBDII/ConsultII and tend to work with most OBDII devices, Scangauge 2 included from memory.

the non-CRD dont have the fuelling controlled by the ECU (but by diesel pump) and hence there is no way to monitor fuel usage (via the diagnostics port)

non-CRD ZD30 are ConsultI (via OBDII plug) and wont work with OBDII devices, only ECUTalk (and not really any other consult devices/software, since they arent designed for diesels).

CRD ZD30 are OBDII/ConsultII and tend to work with most OBDII devices, Scangauge 2 included from memory.

the non-CRD dont have the fuelling controlled by the ECU (but by diesel pump) and hence there is no way to monitor fuel usage (via the diagnostics port)

So the ultragauge won't work on an 03 D22 3.0?

Is there boat mechanics that have a solution??, I know boaties can get a readout of L/hr, can we use that system, I will look as well....

http://www.ecutalk.com/consultlcd.aspx
Code:
Compatibility

Please see the userguide for compatiblity list. Other cars outside of this, contact us. [b]Note: Diesel vehicles do NOT support fuel metering as this information is not available from the ECU.[/b]

so unfortunately there is no way to get fuel metering on any non-CRD since the ECU simply doesnt know fuel usage since it isnt in control of fuel consumption.

if you want a solution, its got to be mechanical, i.e. some kind of dual/differential flow meters or something hooked up in line on fuel and return lines (given you use the fuel that isnt returned to the tank... if diesel operate same as petrol with the return lines etc).

Back