Injector issues and Ultra Tune

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barraboy

Reaction score
Hi all
Dropped into my local Ultra Tune to ask if they can tune my D40 2.5 (138000 km) to reset anything or fine tune ECU or fuel settings, as Im not that happy with the economy. Getting around 11.5l per 100 around town with some hiway as well.
The bloke there tells me that all D40 2,5s end up with big injector problems and they more pour fuel in rather than proper function and that the Nissan workshop shelves are full of them. At 1000 bucks per injector, he told me to sell my vehicle.
Now all this sounds crap to me as I havent been able to find anything written majorly about any problems like this on this forum.
Any thoughts
Barraboy

Try taking it to a dedicated diesel mech & give ultra-expensive a miss. 11.5 is probably acceptable depending on the weight you carry & the weight of your right boot. Is it an auto? What wheel size do you run & how are you calculating economy?

Yes its an auto, 255/70/16s and i drive pretty conservative and dont carry any weight in the back.
Blue Navara, noone said anything about a little tune up.????
My question was more about if anyone else has heard of major probs with the injectors
Econ is calculated as litres per 100 km.
Cheers
Barraboy

Barraboy,

I paraphrased your comment about "fine tune ECU or fuel settings" as a little tune up.

There have been sporadic problems with injectors, but nothing that remotely approaches a structural flaw. Fuel system problems on the D40 usually center around the suction control valve on the injection pump, thankfully a much less expensive repair.

Last edited:
Almost 82,000km here and no concerns about fuel consumption. If you're getting 11.5s on a mixed cycle you're doing well for pushing around 2T.

There have been a few times injectors have been mentioned here, but there's nothing that stands out. The SCV and the turbocharger actuators stand out on the recent D40s as problematic but not injectors.

Thanks for the replies! Yes I hadnt seen anything through searches. Im not a mechanic so thought if there was an issue it would have come up on here for sure.
I have only had the Navara for three months so I guess I'm still getting used to it and learning what to expect economy wise. Love the vehicle!
Thanks again
Barraboy

hi there, i have no trouble with my injectors or ultratune, but i want to throw open for comment a drama a friend of mine has had, he owns a 2009 d40 with 2.5 cr he has just got 105000ks on it and has just had her to nissan maitland because it was running rough.
Final outcome is injector on number 2 has failed no reason has been given yet, (this only happend yesterday). any how cost of injector plus labour and trhow a service into the equation $1995.00. My friends concern and mine is what about the other 3 at over a thousand a pop plus labour shouldnt these things last longer than 105000 ks his car has always been serviced by same dealer either on time or close enough that it shouldnt matter, No he didn't get extended warrenty so injector not covered so with this one i dont expect to here the bad fuel line from nissan as they dont have to pay anyway. im just concerned now for mine im on 99000 and no extended warrenty has anyone had trouble is there any preventive measure i can take

I wish I got 11.5 I would not be looking for a way to improove that economy. I would be looking for a way to replicate it.

I have 140k+ on my 2006. Other than it's token loud rattle when cold, no problems

You can get better than 11.5 with the auto - both Krafty and I have (mine weighing 2700kg got 10.6 on a highway cycle this Christmas). It had about 74k on the clock at the time -journey start at 73315km, ended at 74433 = 1118km using 120.91 litres.

The 100,000km service is a BIG service. It's over $1,000 - and the 120,000km service is even bigger. My 80,000km service was around $1,000. So the injector and fitting is about $900 (say) - that's probably a little on the high side, to be honest - the injectors are (I thought) about $400 so they're asking $500 to fit them? FatBoy might come in and tell us if the price seems about right.

All my mates with D4D Hilux's have had injectors done, my cousin has his in as we speek getting all four injectors done and the fuel rail at a total cost of $6500.

I just got 4 injectors delivered from Melbourne to act for $1400(supplier on eBay)it took me two hours to fit them.

Recently got a quotation for injectors at $731.02 (inc. GST) each plus fitting. Not sure if you need to replace out items when replacing injectors.

Latest posts

Back