In dash GPS

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello

I have t he Polaris 1640 unit in my D40. I have actually had it for about 3-4 years previously in my D22. It cost around $1200 then now around $1450 + fitting.
The new model has a better screen. Overall I love and dont regret the purchase. Mine is fitted up with a reversing camera and it works great, makes backing up and hitching the trailer so much easier. It also makes reverse parking a snap.

Mine came with Sensis navigator maps, early this year I had the head unit updated to add Hema off road maps at a cost of $250, so now it does both. The city navigation is really good and my unit only crashed occasionally if I try and add a favorite location to the library. The Hema maps are a lot harder to use as the controls on screen are quite small and fairly complex, but its pretty good. It was useful on a recent trip to shark bay were is could see my position in relation to all the tracks and camps etc.

The screen on my unit can be hard to read in bright sunlight but I fixed that by making a hood for it. I have mine set to auto sensitive and it reliably switched from day to night mode etc.

I sue the bluetooth phone feature with my iphone 3G and it works fine though the people on the other end sometime find the quality low but I think this is to do with volume and location of the the iphone in relation to the unit. Generally it is fine. It also accepts stereo music streaming from the iphone and you can change tracks from the Polaris head unit.
It connects to my old ipod in the glove box and replicated the ipod controls on the polaris head unit very nifty.

It plays DVD's and various CD formats, accepts inputs from tire pressure monitoring systems and will connect to steering wheel mounted music controls.

Hmm what else might you like to know. I have seen the VMS units they look good, but I have not used one. I also like the fact the polaris has a mute button on the face where the VMS didnt seem to have one.

Overall for the price I think it is a very good product and mine has been totally reliable since purchase

Cheers
JonO

I forgot to mention, for $19 I bought a 7m extension lead for my reversing camera, so when towing I take the reversing camera and cable tie it onto the back of the trailer then connect the extension lead into the existing receiver cable form the polaris which is under the back of the D40's Tray. It works great and is way cheaper and better than messing around with a dual reversing cam system which costs heaps. Anyway you would not see much from the primary reversing camera when the trailer is hooked up.

Cheers
Jono

Jono, you've given me an idea that I'm going to consider implementing.

While reversing my Navara up to the van, I want the camera in my tailgate active so I can see the towball and line it up nicely. This is how it works now and that's how I want it.

Once I hook up the van, I'd like to see behind the van, because seeing behind the Navara doesn't help as you point out, and I've just worked out a way to do it.

If I get a second weatherproof (and identical, $129 from Jaycar) camera and install it on the rear of my van, then run the cable forward and terminate it on a 3.5mm plug, I can put a 3.5mm weather-proof socket up under the back where it'll be protected and near the van power connector. As part of the vehicle hook-up, I plug the camera lead in, which bypasses the tailgate camera and activates the van's rear camera. Because the cameras are identical, there should be no need to do anything on the head unit.

Thank you Jono, you're a brilliant man. This project is now on my to-do list.

Dual camera

I had a cheap ebay 2 din dvd,gps etc.. in my patrol what I did was put a on/off toggel switch in on the reverse power and fitted in dash then run video cable from camera at back of caravan through chassis to back of car & fitted 3.5 mm plug beside trailer plug, hooked power of camera to number plate light on van, on the head unit it had reverse camera & aux connections, so when I backed up to the van using car camera once hooked up towball connect cable plug from van hit toogle switch in dash which disconneted reverse power to head unit press aux option on head unit turn on parkers or headlight to activate camera on van.
quick & easy. This unit run IGO8 & ozi explore maps, unit cost about $460 + about $100 for 2x HD camera's, had the unit for about 2yrs had no problems at all with it. I plan on doing the same thing with the new navara when it comes just need to find out if you can plug into the wire harness iso plugs
Cheers hunter

Hi Guys
I am get my unit from dig_option but was wondering where you have mounted the GPS antena? When I did my sons in an AU falcon I put behind the trim on the A pillar I tseemed to work ok. Do you have any other sugestion.

Thanks

Just stick it under the dash near the radio, most people who have done it with different units seem to fit it there somewhere and it's where I'm going to put mine when I figure out what set up I'm going for, although mine is currently looking like it will go somewhere between the new head unit idea and the car pc idea Biscuits had only more portable.

I have my antenna sitting on top of the radio, under the dash. I spent a little time testing before I fitted everything back up, and the drop in signal was negligible when placed there. The best location was up on top of the snorkel (or otherwise outside the vehicle)

there are quite a few options where you can add nav to leading brand head units like jvc, kenwood, clarion, alpine etc. You can do it with igo and oziexplorer on the same box added to the stereo.
Basically you just use a different nav box which is universal. I use one on my alpine head unit but i dont use alpines nav, it has ozi and igo and is easily accessible for the sd card so i can backup all my info on the laptop too.

The benefit is this nav is way cheaper than the alpine one with more features. Just opens up your options to more than just the vms and polaris

cheers

Bruce

EFrontier - GPS Receivers and Bluetooth for Australia and NZ Car DVD with GPS Navigator
Follow the link above to a double din unit that is basically the same as the Polaris unit. They are made by CASKA but Polaris re-badge, do a few tweeks and on-sell. I had one of the CASKA units in my last car and ran 'oziexplorer' and 'destinator' street mapping, had two camera hooked up for reversing and towing. Used the DVD to keep the kids entertained aswell. The built-in tv was analogue and so no use now but I believe the new ones are digital. It also has an integrated tyre pressure monitor system that can be added. All this for about $800 delivered. It's worth a look if you are going to spend some money.

Foxy

Back