Hid head lights

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Macka99

Reaction score
I have installed a set of hid light s and some times when you turn the lights on one will not fire up but if you flick the light switch off the back on it fires up any hints

Dunno. Did you just change the H4 bulbs for HID or did you use the proper complete assembly that use a proper projector style that is made for HID bulbs? Not that it will effect the operation of the HID bulb but if the standard head light lens, it will give every other motorist the shits and illegal.

My apologizes for coming across like some narc but HID bulbs in standard headlights is my pet hate.

I'll ditto the dislike for HID bulbs without lenses. Glaringly bright regardless of high or low beam because of the scatter - the arc in a HID bulb is longer than the filament in a halogen lens, so the reflector behind it doesn't capture the light correctly. If you know anything about parabolas, your headlight reflector generally IS one, and the filament is supposed to sit roughly in the locus, so that the light is then projected forward. Moving the light source outside the locus makes the light scatter.

Ok, with that out of the way, HID relies on TWO things - voltage and heat. The arcing generally creates the heat, so the usual way things work is the voltage bridges the gap to create a little light (by arcing) and it gets warmer, which makes the light shine brighter.

I'd suggest that there are one of two possibilities - either your ballast isn't providing enough voltage boost, or the gap is too large in the bulb. Swap bulbs left-to-right and see if the problem persists.

If it follows the globe, it's the globe, simple.

If it stays put, check that the wire is okay. Swap the wires over at the ballast end (if you can) and see if that swaps the light issue. If it does, the ballast has an internal problem with one line producing less volts than it needs to. If it doesn't, it's the wiring to the bulb on that side - either underspec, too long (voltage drop) or it's been damaged and may be losing power elsewhere.

I'm no expert on HID, but it's electric and the solution might be electrical (ie cabling).

I'd say just simple Chinese h4 jobs... Probably got the fat silver ballasts too. I have them in spotties and the odd time one won't fire up, but flick the lights on and off a couple of times and it comes on. Just cheap manufacturing really is all I can put it down to... Not much you can do about it except make sure all the connections are clean and good. Other option is to bin them and get a decent projector hid setup as these generally have better quality globes and ballasts...

It'll be a stuffed or dodgy ballast.

Take them out & put Narva plus globes or something like that in ... hid globes in non projector headlights is uber annoying for other drivers.

Perhaps it's a sign ...

Ditto like everyone else said HID globes in standard reflector housings are a pain in the butt and some even say that they dont actually give much better light anyway as the reflector doesnt work properly with the wrong type of globe
On the electrical side it could be the earth but Id go dodgy ballasts

Ditto like everyone else said HID globes in standard reflector housings are a pain in the butt and some even say that they dont actually give much better light anyway as the reflector doesnt work properly with the wrong type of globe

Agree 100%, I tried some, for about 2 days, the light was crap, just everywhere, no depth, all they did was throw white light in every direction.

I put some Narva upgrades in, 10 times better, along with HID spotties.

I used to have hid in my headlights and one day I decided to neat up all the wires in the engine bay.. Solder and heat shrink to everything and tidy up etc.. Took me about 3 hours put everything in turned lights on all good 2 min later I hear a POP and one of the ballasts blew cheap shit pissed me off. I ripped everything out after 3 hours and spent another few hours putting new h4 globs and rewire new fittings. I wouldn't bother with hid unless you change the whole headlight with quality HiD or Xeon. Pissed me off

Latest posts

Back