help! overfueling.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Mc

Reaction score
hi, i have a qd32 1998 navara that is only getting 450klms per 80L tank, thats highway travelling at about 95km/hr. iv just put new injectors, cleaned the banjo filter in and its just had a service. its been using this much fuel for a couple of years now and as im an apprentace that has to drive 40mins to work its not really worth it. does anybody know a solution thanks!

17.7 LPHK isn't pretty but the QD32 wasn't too light on the juice either. Ok, let's look at all of the things that cause fuel consumption to rise.

* Larger wheels than standard. The car's designed with a certain amount of power to provide a certain acceleration through the drive train. Changing to larger tyres makes the engine work harder to do the same job.

* The higher the rpm, the more fuel used. It's simple math - low revs reduce fuel consumption. Even racing drivers do it when fuel becomes critical and they call it "short shifting". You sacrifice top-end performance for fuel economy.

* Chips increase fuel consumption. That's how they work. If yours is chipped, turn the thing off until you need the extra power.

* Traffic increases fuel consumption - there's no getting around it, either, unless you find another path or time to get to work.

* The most efficient point at which to operate the diesel engine is where the torque curve (on a torque vs rpm graph) begins to flatten out. That's the point where cruising should be done - because that's the point where the most energy is being obtained for the amount of fuel being used.

How heavy is your car?

Thanks for the reply mate, i do have 31" tyres so that wouldnt help but my mate has the same ute, his running 33" muddies and his comsumption is 10LPHK. its not chipped as there isnt a chip even available for it. i dont sit in traffic very often. I dont have a tacho so i dont even know what rpm im doing. My car is 1 tonn. it doesnt blow any smoke either. would you consider getting the injector pump tuned mabey or somthing along those lines? cheers

if its not smoking then its certainly not over fueling.
i would be checking injection timing, i would advance it a bit and see what it goes like.
possible the pump is worn and not advancing like it should. also check for air in the fuel lines and any blockages like people fitting small petrol filters.

also do a compression check, not much point doing a lot if the compression is crap.

Back