Good campsites a few hours from Wollongong

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oakey13

Reaction score
Hi all,

First post so I apologise if this has already been asked, I'm not too familiar with the site yet.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows of good campsites just a few hours from Wollongong, NSW. A place that would be friendly to a stock D40.

Also, my usual camping activities include mountain biking, kayaking and the odd bushwalk/hike.

Cheers guys.

Have you been to Bendethera, or Araluen/Dry Creek both spots have nice little rivers you can camp right next to and are suitable for a little bit of kayaking.
Bendethera also has some limestone caves that you can take a self guided climb through that is about a 5km walk.
Meryla State forrest near Mossvale and Fitzroy Falls has a few spots where you can camp and has a great river for the kayak and some terrific views from the top of some of the escarpments.

you prob also know of Danjera Dam near Yalwal, great Bass fishing and miles of water for the Kayak

All four places are suitable for a stock D40.

Also if you havnt already check out www.4x4earth.com.au you will find heaps of spots on that site.

Welcome to the forum.

In a word: Bendeela. It's in the Kangaroo Valley. Kayaking available 5 steps from your tent. If you don't like that river for kayaking, just up the road at Tallowa Dam attracts quite a few kayakers. To the north and up the hill is Fitzroy Falls. Don't park your camper in the bus zone, the ranger will come out and start ranting at you, she wants you to park your vehicle way, way up the back.

It's ok in winter, but in summer there's a lot of mozzies in the valley so be prepared.

Have you been to Bendethera, or Araluen/Dry Creek both spots have nice little rivers you can camp right next to and are suitable for a little bit of kayaking.
Bendethera also has some limestone caves that you can take a self guided climb through that is about a 5km walk.
Meryla State forrest near Mossvale and Fitzroy Falls has a few spots where you can camp and has a great river for the kayak and some terrific views from the top of some of the escarpments.

you prob also know of Danjera Dam near Yalwal, great Bass fishing and miles of water for the Kayak

All four places are suitable for a stock D40.

Also if you havnt already check out www.4x4earth.com.au you will find heaps of spots on that site.

Thanks mate. Just googled all those places and they all look awesome. Now to choose haha. Might have to do a few trips.

Welcome to the forum.

In a word: Bendeela. It's in the Kangaroo Valley. Kayaking available 5 steps from your tent. If you don't like that river for kayaking, just up the road at Tallowa Dam attracts quite a few kayakers. To the north and up the hill is Fitzroy Falls. Don't park your camper in the bus zone, the ranger will come out and start ranting at you, she wants you to park your vehicle way, way up the back.

It's ok in winter, but in summer there's a lot of mozzies in the valley so be prepared.

Cheers mate. Yeah I've been out that way but just for a day trip, love the scenery down there. Might have to go and have a better look for the camping side of things. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back