Glow Plugs

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stelianos

Reaction score
got a set of new NGK glow plugs to replace my original set (no problems i just thought its a good idea wfter 13 years) and i had this stupid idea to test with battery voltage before installing. hooked them up to 12V battery only for 2- 2 and a half minutes each and they bubbled at the tip.... do you think i destroyed them? or they are just "bedding in" with the heat. i thought after glow was much longer than 2 minutes before i tried it... really hope i didnt destroy them since they cost me AUD 182.16 !!!!!

Attachments

• 20151203_172111.jpg
    20151203_172111.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 618
  • 20151203_172035.jpg
    20151203_172035.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 596
if the g/plugs are rated at 12 volts input i am sure they will be ok. they could have had a protective coating on them and when 12 volts hit them they become hot and bubbled the coating.

maybe.
check the diameter, make sure they havn't expanded and check continuity, see if element is still ok.
fairly sure theres no voltage dropping circuit on those engines so they are made for running 12v for quite a long time. but thats in the engine where its got a lot of mass to heat up. i'm not sure on the effect of them being outside the engine.

i was really worried all day i ruined them so i contacted NGK europe and send them mail with pictures, glow plugs serial number and my truck model. they said its ok. they are not ceramic but Sheathed type glow plug with double coil and build in voltage controller to prevent overheat as he said. he also said afterglow is around 180secs anyway.i also took the bubbled paint of with my fingernail and a cotton cloth (they told me to) honestly the first picture made it look much worse than it is. it was just a paint coat. couldnt be happier and luckier!
20151203_220947.jpg
20151203_220952.jpg

bit of "update" i replaced all for stock glow plugs all 4 were perfect working condition checked with multimeter and i probably wasted my money, i am a bit convinced it reaches operating temperature faster but it probably is the placebo effect??? who knows.
the glow plugs where almost identical the older ones had smaller length heating tip (almost half the size) but they glowed to the same colour with battery voltage on the tip. from my experience no point replacing yours if they work!

i know with the patrol zd30 there is issues with glow plugs breaking.
some of the older toyotas your meant to replace the glows every 100,000km's in case they break. they have a nasty habit of breaking the tip off and then breaking the piston.
so its not a bad thing to replace them as the mileage gets up.

i think zd30 uses ceramic glow plugs maybe thats why they might break. i am at 169,950 kms and they looked perfectly fine, i had no trouble removing 3 of them i literally broke them loose then handtighted them, just glow plug in piston N1 had some carbon deposit which made installation a bit difficult but nothing dramatic.

Latest posts

Back