Getting back into shape??

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozstickman

Reaction score
G'day everyone. Need some advice from you all. Since being off the highway and on site I have put on a few extra kilos and lost a bit of fitness. At camp we have a small basic sorta looking gym that I'd like to use but would not have a clue what I'm doing.

I don't want to bulk up and become a body builder, just get some fitness back and loose the bits that shake when I run!

I've never been a big bloke, always a thin fella and being in the highway I was always rushing around, doing tarps, lifting stuff and not eating as much (well sweet FA really). I don't eat a hell of a lot now either, salad roll for lunch, a bit of yoghurt or fruit for smoko. Breakfast cereal in the morning and a normal sorta dinner.

I'm sure there are some fitness people out there that might be able to point me in the right direction.

By the way smart arse comments not wanted..... Well at least for a few hours!

Cheers n Beers
Sticko!

Hey Sticko,

Getting into shape is all about finding a routine and sticking to it, I hate any sort of cardio (running, cycling, rowing etc). So weight lifting was naturally what I was drawn to. I have always been big, left high school at about 97kg and I am about 6ft. Currently weigh 87kgs, but my body fat % would be about 15%, used to be probs 25%

I have been going to the gym solidly now (4-5days/week) for about 5 or 6 years. The big difference for me when I saw body changes, doing full body compund weight lifting. There are three basic movements deadlift, bench press, squats. If you perform these three exercises it is all you need. Basically being a compound movement they involve many muscle groups so they are great for cardiovascular health as you get gassed performing them, plus they are also responsible to releasing growth hormones into your system.

I neglected the dead and squat for many years, and only when I started doing them, combined with a bit tighter diet did I see great results. The downside is, deads and squats are technically the hardest movement to master the technique of. You need someone with good knowledge to teach you otherwise you risk serious injury, and that is not a joke. The amount of people I see at gyms with backbreaking form scares the shit out of me, I try to educate a few, but dont want to come across as that gym know it all guy.

Other thing is, find a training partner, I find gym unbearable by myself, but training with someone makes it a blast and you achieve much more.

One last thing, dont get sucked into the whole supplement world like most newbies, they are a giant waste of time, anything worth buying is illegal. The only thing I use is protein powder, I buy cheap WPC stuff from a place called bulk nutrients located in tassie, they have good prices and the amino acid profile of there powders is good and has high amount of essential BCAAs (branch chain amino acids) which is what you want. Protein shakes may be good to bulk your calorie intake up with good calories, ie protein, if you dont have time to eat.

Finally, The more muscle you carry, the higher your metabolic rate is, ie when you are sitting there doing nothing, you burn more calories just by having the lean muscle.

Goodluck,
Shorty

A good place to head over is a website called t-nation they have heaps of informative articles and good demo videos on lifts. The web page is pretty in your face with body building imagery, but if you can look past that, there is a wealth of knowledge on there.

Hey Sticko,

Getting into shape is all about finding a routine and sticking to it, I hate any sort of cardio (running, cycling, rowing etc). So weight lifting was naturally what I was drawn to. I have always been big, left high school at about 97kg and I am about 6ft. Currently weigh 87kgs, but my body fat % would be about 15%, used to be probs 25%

I have been going to the gym solidly now (4-5days/week) for about 5 or 6 years. The big difference for me when I saw body changes, doing full body compund weight lifting. There are three basic movements deadlift, bench press, squats. If you perform these three exercises it is all you need. Basically being a compound movement they involve many muscle groups so they are great for cardiovascular health as you get gassed performing them, plus they are also responsible to releasing growth hormones into your system.

I neglected the dead and squat for many years, and only when I started doing them, combined with a bit tighter diet did I see great results. The downside is, deads and squats are technically the hardest movement to master the technique of. You need someone with good knowledge to teach you otherwise you risk serious injury, and that is not a joke. The amount of people I see at gyms with backbreaking form scares the shit out of me, I try to educate a few, but dont want to come across as that gym know it all guy.

Other thing is, find a training partner, I find gym unbearable by myself, but training with someone makes it a blast and you achieve much more.

One last thing, dont get sucked into the whole supplement world like most newbies, they are a giant waste of time, anything worth buying is illegal. The only thing I use is protein powder, I buy cheap WPC stuff from a place called bulk nutrients located in tassie, they have good prices and the amino acid profile of there powders is good and has high amount of essential BCAAs (branch chain amino acids) which is what you want. Protein shakes may be good to bulk your calorie intake up with good calories, ie protein, if you dont have time to eat.

Finally, The more muscle you carry, the higher your metabolic rate is, ie when you are sitting there doing nothing, you burn more calories just by having the lean muscle.

Goodluck,
Shorty

The only thing really to add to that is eat smaller meals more often throughout the day, if your keen on dropping weight that is. Oh and try not to make your last meal a large one, not that good for you.
A few website iv been using are:
As mentioned for information
#T-nation
#Bodybuilding.com

For supplements
#Bulk Powders (They mail it all to you)
#GNC

Provided your heart rate is over 126bpm it's burning fat, find what fits you best, I train on my own, hate talking when training, I find it very therapeutic and I train right before or after work though after is harder, it has become part of my work day.
Oh and mix it up, it's much more enjoyable that way, just siting on a treadmill for 45-60 minutes is a waste of time.
If gym is not an option buy a dog, walking is very good for you especially at the end of the day,
I use to run 2.5k every morning before breakfast and that set me up for the day and I lost plenty. Not far I know but I had time restraints so was before I ate.

Edit: add complex carbs to your diet but keep the amount to a limit. Eg: sweet potato, brown rice etc.
Stay away from simple carbs eg; bread and that's all bread, white rice, basically all pasta and white potato. Very limited at dinner. carbs should only be used in limited amounts around a training session.
If your dropping carbs increase good fats like fish oils and avocado, this will keep your body burning and the good fats will assist in dropping the fat. Also water only and lots of it, no soft drink, cordials or energy drinks.
One last thing you can't turn fat into muscle you can only build muscle and burn fat.

Last edited:
I really want my cardio back. I use to be able to go hard and not get knocked up, now I'm rooted just thinking about it. Also it wouldn't be bad if I could turn a little flab into muscle for the wife.

since my accident and back op I found myself putting on the weight quickly
I go to the pool 3 days a week for hydrotherapy and that seems to keep my weight under control

Ok your "few hours" are up. Hope you're ready for it.

Just sayin'.

What won't work: trying to copulate with your partner on the ground and you attached to a bungee cord off the Sydney Harbour Bridge. You won't get enough exercise - she will as she runs like hell from the cops, but you won't.

What WILL work: leave your car at home, walk to a pub in Mt Druitt and kick someone's Harley Davidson over. By the time you get home you'll either have lost your weight or had it kicked out of you.

Seriously ... I'm not perfect so I'm not going to give serious advice. Your time was up so enjoy the laugh (that's all this was meant for).

Ok your "few hours" are up. Hope you're ready for it. Just sayin'. What won't work: trying to copulate with your partner on the ground and you attached to a bungee cord off the Sydney Harbour Bridge. You won't get enough exercise - she will as she runs like hell from the cops, but you won't. What WILL work: leave your car at home, walk to a pub in Mt Druitt and kick someone's Harley Davidson over. By the time you get home you'll either have lost your weight or had it kicked out of you. Seriously ... I'm not perfect so I'm not going to give serious advice. Your time was up so enjoy the laugh (that's all this was meant for).

Your time was up 'SICKO' someone finally had to come in with bit of humour in it.
And I did think it would be one of them too.lol

As for the weight loss more fruit the better but in small quantities through the day and night.

⚠️Cheers Geoff Go the V-6's⚠️

Last edited:
Look up the 5-2 diet. It sort of makes sense and the people I know who are on it swear by it. You only exercise like 6 min a week. Sounds good to me.

Plenty of cardio and light weights. Definitely a good idea to lose fat before trying to bulk up anyhow. I've almost lost the spare tyre myself. My diet of shit food was the first to go because you can't out exercise a bad diet. (Less carbs and more protein)

Cheers Brad

Plenty of cardio and light weights. Definitely a good idea to lose fat before trying to bulk up anyhow. I've almost lost the spare tyre myself. My diet of shit food was the first to go because you can't out exercise a bad diet. (Less carbs and more protein)

Cheers Brad
Dig some more drainage trenches Brad, that will work it off.

Actually Brad if you want some exercise, I want a tap moved (and soon). To sweeten the deal, I've got cash, plus that tent and a two-burner stove with attached oven (yes a real oven and yes it works) for you.

Speaking of getting back in to shape... Maybe I'll start the diet tomorrow... Lol

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413550233.950284.jpg

Last edited:
Holy crap Gordy,
You have one hell of an appetite!!!!
Good old hogs breath.tell them it's your birthday and you will receive a free cake as well.lol
Enjoy your night in at WA

Haha they aren't all mine lol

Ye and they sing to u, that's just awkward!

And I'm not in wa haha

Haha they aren't all mine lol Ye and they sing to u, that's just awkward! And I'm not in wa haha

I stand corrected Sorry SA.lol
Brain is a bit muddled tonight(alcohol induced)pmsl
Yeah come on,they are all your dishes.lol

i'm glad you're having a good night:)

Don't eat too much cake.or singalong with it.

You are forgiven :p
Struggled with one and the beers lol
But seriously diet starts again tomorrow lol

Latest posts

Back