Fuel consumption.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine revs at 2000 - 2050 and the turbo is working fine. If your chewing it on the open road it's more than likely the 110kph than anything else.

What Krafty said.

The turbo actually starts coming on in the mid teens, and by about 1800 it's providing decent boost. At 2,000rpm it should be at full boost, and right on 2,000rpm should be the point where the least amount of fuel is being used to produce the most amount of power.

Beyond that point, wind resistance of the Nabrickna (whether it's a D22 brick or a D40 brick) is the dominating factor.

^ You must drive easier then me.

I was driving a Nissan Tiida yesterday, the fuel gauge was dicky but was a nice car to drive.

If a oldman like Krafty was driving it, it would be better on fuel.

The thing loved sitting on 120km/h.

ok guys have 2010 D40 ST which means it has 126kw motor do hwy between nabic and taree 6 days a weel and get consistant 10lph. this sitting on 110 as per the gps, if i sit on the 110 by the speedo i can easliy get 9lph.

Dave said:
^ You must drive easier then me.
Now that you said that Dave I feel like a granny on the road ..... mmmmm that didn't sound right did it ? :big_smile:

I gotta say I was wasn't expecting that coz a mate of mine was saying that he cruises on the freeway at 90kmh to get better fuel economy and here I am sticking to 100kmh. I wouldn't have thought it would make that much of a difference.

Mine is often sitting 110km/h on the rural roads.

I get about 10.3-10.7L per hundred km's.

Before I blocked the EGR it never went over 10.3L/100km's.

Mine is often sitting 110km/h on the rural roads.

I get about 10.3-10.7L per hundred km's.

Before I blocked the EGR it never went over 10.3L/100km's.

Dave, are you saying that the EGR mod actually INCREASED your fuel consumption, making your economy worse?

That's a bit of a surprise, since the EGR dampens the combustion process making it less efficient.

Tony Id say its from using the loud pedal more.

I wouldn't change it back, it makes extra torque down low and will spin the wheels where it wouldn't before.

cbf working it out.

ZD30
manual
Stock engine wise with b/bar
Fuel light turned on at 673km/s. Then filled up :)

Town driving with a few fishing trips put into the mix.
Quite happy with the consumption atm.

Brett

Just moved from Melb ot Port Hedland. On the trip across with a fully loaded tray and gear on the roof racks got 11.7l/100km.

On first full tank once I got into town averaged 10.2 with not much in the back.

roof racks, bull bar and canopy add a bit of weight so quite happy with the economy.

Just moved from Melb ot Port Hedland. On the trip across with a fully loaded tray and gear on the roof racks got 11.7l/100km.

On first full tank once I got into town averaged 10.2 with not much in the back.

roof racks, bull bar and canopy add a bit of weight so quite happy with the economy.

ooo another fellow Port Hedland navara owner :)
Welcome to the town, dw this rain wont stick around

Brett

Hmm.... Since I changed tyres from stock 255/70/16 Dunlop AT20 to 265/75/16 Mickey Thompson MTZ I have gone from 700k to orange light to 580k!
Nothing else has changed so I am a bit miffed the tyres made that much difference.
Not that I would change them back :grin:

Will report again after next tank.

Murph

Murph, your road circumference has increased by 127mm from standard. For 1,000 revolutions, that's a whole 127 metres further travelled.

On standard tyres, an average tank (600km) means the wheel turns over 250,000 times, so the numbers do get very large very quickly.

The small amount of diameter increase (763.3 to 803.9mm) adds up to a small increase in force required to turn over the wheel. Multiplied by the 237,574 times and it becomes noticeable.

Did I say that I hate math?

That's a petrol model for you. Diesel fuel has a higher calorific value, which means for the same physical amount of fuel, you get more energy from diesel than you do from petrol.

15-16LPHK is not bad for a petrol truck.

I don't want to take anything away from the petrol-powered Navaras - they are very zippy, accelerating like demons compared to the diesels, but the price for that extra power is extra costs in the fuel department.

Thought of buying an oiler?

Yep, but now that I have been put into forced retirement the funds are too tight to go down that track.
I have thought of converting the old girl to a manual as but I need to find a (really) cheap D21 4 x 2 for the donor car in FNQ.
One of these day's I will come across something that will suit and I'll do it, until then I will have to suffer the lousy economy I guess.

Have no complaints as far as economy goes. 2008 d40 stx 2.5td manual, 80K, 265/75/16 tyres, ARB canopy, Nissan steel bullbar, bash plates, tow bar. Have been averaging 10.4 lts per 100km on the 260km round trip to work. Had a Safari snorkel and K&N air filter fitted last week so went for a drive to Perth yesterday to see if they made any difference, did 655km (one way) and filled up with 61ltrs which is 9.3ltrs per 100km Pretty happy with those figures.

Cheers John

Even with petrol engines you can do things to improve the economy. Block the EGR valve (petrols do this too). I just did it on my wife's car, the thing sucks an enormous amount of EGR, which reduces the engine's efficiency. EGR block is an easy and very cheap mod - it should cost you $17 for the Permatex Ultra Blue Sensor-Safe Gasket Sealant and zero for the scrap stainless steel that you'll need to make the gasket replacement from.

Remember that the more RPM, the more fuel, so keeping the revs low keeps the fuel consumption down. The thing about diesels (apart from the fuel providing more energy) is that they're low revvers - 3500rpm in a diesel is screaming, where petrols don't shriek until about 5000rpm, so the tendency is to let it rev. In another thread, I calculated that 500rpm increase in RPM resulted in 2.5LPHK increase in fuel consumption.

That might help as well. Hope so!

Hmm.... Since I changed tyres from stock 255/70/16 Dunlop AT20 to 265/75/16 Mickey Thompson MTZ I have gone from 700k to orange light to 580k!

Yup, those tires will get ya.

I've had my 265/75 FCII's on since Week 1 and have never gotten better than 11.5 per 100. I'm just about to roll over 40'000 and my average for those kilometers will be somewhere in the mid to high 12's.

Very dissappointing for an otherwise great vehicle.

Cheers,
James.

Latest posts

Back