Four wheel driving

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zacb_

Reaction score
Hey guys

Im kinda new to fourwheel driving and have only had my license for a couple of months. I want to learn as much as i can about 4wding.

I was just wondering do you have to put the clutch in to change from 4l to 4h etc or can you just switch between them without the clutch?

Kind regards zac

I always come to a complete stop, put the gearbox in neutral, clutch in, then change between them, give it some revs to when you change up and down between gears so you don't snap the necks of your passengers.

Oh and don't forget to lock/unlock your hubs, don't drive on any sealed surface in 4wd with the hubs locked or you will snap your transfer chain or worse... you can hower drive around in low range 2wd with the hubs unlocked if you have a really heavy load on a hill or something.

Last edited:
you shouldn't have to but it won't hurt. you do have to come to a complete stop before going into and out of low range though. i normally just stop with the clutch in, transmission in first gear and go into or out of low and continue on. normally if we are going to the beach i'll lock the hubs in before leaving home and unlock them when we get back home as it's not a long trip, that saves having to get out and lock them in when we get there

Hey fellas I do the same, neutral clutch in complete stop and when I shift from 2H to any other like 4Hi or N it makes a quick small grind/crunch.... Is that normal?

If two ain't spinnin' you just ain't winnin'

My gearstick slots in perfectly (no pun intended), my old pathfinder used to do it but if you do it fast it wouldn't grind, if you have difficulty try reversing back a few meters.

My gearstick slots in perfectly (no pun intended), my old pathfinder used to do it but if you do it fast it wouldn't grind, if you have difficulty try reversing back a few meters.

Sweet mate thanks. Yeah even if I do it fast it makes a quick little crunch sorta... But it still goes in no worries but just makes that damn crunch noise and I can feel it when I'm holding onto the stick through my hand

If two ain't spinnin' you just ain't winnin'

Latest posts

Back