Exhaust Whistle from turbo when back off accelerator

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Navara09

Reaction score
I am going to be putting a 3 inch exhaust system on my D22 and i want the whistle noise when i take my foot off the accelerator like Graham Cahill's GQ shorty on the 4wd action dvds. How do i do that? does it have to be complete straight through or have a cat or what?

Pretty sure its a dump pipe that comes straight off the turbo that gives it the whistle, but you may want to wait for a response from sombody who is more mechanically minded.

Nah not a blow off valve at all....thts what all those dickheads in the skylines run. Im pretty sure its just an exhaust but not sure if its a straight through or you can have a Cat

You don't necessarily need a cat because I'm pretty sure the whistle is created through the dump pipe, but i'd def go with a high flo cat!

I was quoted $1500 for 3' steel pipe, high flow cat, ceramic dump pipe etc etc.

a full aftermarket setup will get you that noise, including turbo.

i havent seen any stock turbo diesels sound like that, the one in the video is running an aftermarket turbo (aka from NA to turbo) with a 3" system and a denco air to water cooler (i believe)

its the setup i'd do, but i prefer reliability :)

my system is 2.5" with extractors and twin resonators, lol no cat, no muffler

but as a member on here who USED to own a navara, the system i would personally get is a 2.5" from the turbo back (new dump pipe) with no cat and no muffler.

i believe running no muffler may get a bit of drone and may be a bit noisy for some, but if it was too loud i'd simply have a muffler put into the system, and it'd be a high flow/straight through muffler at that.

i reckon 3" is just too big for a 2.5L engine, but thats my opinion. a 3" on a 4.2L TD, definitely.

YouTube - Navara 3" exhaust

This is a link of my nav with a straight through 3". As far as I know a cat isnt needed on diesels. I know the sound your talking about, its like a high pitch whine/blow off valve noise as he backs off in the patrol. Ive been trying to find out what makes the noise cause I love that noise but as the others said I think its from a larger aftermarket turbo

oh boosted, cats ARE needed on the current modern diesels, its an emissions law.

on the older diesels such as my landcruiser (1998), they dont need cat as the emissions standards were different back then.

plenty of people with diesels dont run them, even if they come with cats from the factory, but if caught say hello to about $10,000 in a single fine :) more if you try conceal it.

its a risk a lot of people take, and over here in WA most cops dont honestly care if they check your car and its a diesel, but if you go over the pits without one, BAM!

Might be a bit different over here in queensland. I went to my local exhaust shop and he didn't put one in and seemed to think we didn't need them in queensland. He hammered the point of having one in a petrol car but not in a diesel

pretty much if the car comes with one, you HAVE to run it by 'law'

unless you can prove the cars exhaust gases are below the emissions standards without one...

same with a muffler, if you can prove the cars exhaust noise is less then the legal dB limit then you dont need a muffler.

plenty of exhaust shops i called just said 'you dont really need one, its a diesel', however there were the odd few which refused to do it without a cat as they'd lose their business knowing they put a car on the road which is voiding the emissions laws (which are very strict and bs these days as you know, everything is about emissions these days)

i started off with a 2.5" exhaust with straight thru muffler from behind the cat. didnt change much, then i got a dump pipe made and a high flow cat put in, then it made that whistle, not as loud as the LC in that video tho but u can def hear it in the cab. but mines the 3L.

Nah not a blow off valve at all....thts what all those dickheads in the skylines run. Im pretty sure its just an exhaust but not sure if its a straight through or you can have a Cat

Ahem, don't tar us all with the riceboy brush thanks! You never know who might have a Skyline. I do and no BOV in sight, plenty of whistles and noses and LOADS of compressor surge on shutting the throttle though, plus a nice loud straight pipe to make it really sound the goods.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDsTH1qgz74[/YT]

Latest posts

Back