Excessive smoke

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YoungyD22

Reaction score
G'day lads

I'm a bit stuck at the moment, I have a 2011 d22 with a few engine mods. I have a 3" mandrel my exhaust, tunit diesel chip and I have just recently blocked the egr. Is there a solution to excessive smoke that I could do to my nav or am I just going to have to live with what I have?

Cheers

If anything the EGR block will reduce smoke. First thing I'd do is pull the Tunit chip and see how it goes - going back to "standard" (in terms of fuelling) is a good reference point.

If it's still smoking like mad, don't bother with Nicabate patches, instead you might check the turbocharger operation - assuming that you've already checked the air filter. There are other things to check, but starting with the (free!) basic things to check is always best. The turbocharger should have a wastegate which should close completely. Do you know how much boost you're getting?

Thanks again tony! I don't have a boost gauge fitted yet so I don't know what I'm getting. If I remember correctly when the ute was a bit newer you could really feel the turbo kick in, as for now not so much ?
I'll disconnect the chip tomorrow and see how she goes! This is the first turbo inducted car I've owned so my knowledge on waste gate location and activation is pretty terrible

I've seen 2 YD25s that weren't blowing smoke, and i reckon there was something wrong with both of them as it's not normal for them too not blow smoke.

Interesting vid !! So I just tried to disconnect my chip and it went into limp mode, tried to take off down the road and it only got to just above idol. So I reconnected it and the engine light is on, I've reset the ecu but the engine light is still up ?? The ute is running normal again but yeah just the engine light

Disconnecting the chip shouldn't bring on the engine light, usually it's the other way around! It's possible that it's a coincidence, or that something else slipped off while the chip was coming off. It would be good to know what the code is that's causing the engine light to come on. Do you know anyone with a bluetooth OBD adapter? Your 2011 car will talk standard OBD codes so reading the info from the ECU will be easy.

The engine light actually cleared itself over night!! But I'm still stuck with the issue of figuring out the slight decrease in power and a little extra smoke ! I might get someone to check the waste gate and general operation of the turbo While I'm getting it serviced this week

Youngy your not alone I have a 2012 d22 from new no smoke as soon as I chipped it with the 3 inch exhaust out comes the smoke. The straight through exhaust allows free flow unlike the standard one. Don't worry mate stress less.

Latest posts

Back