Euro/Ebay 'chips' and your experiences

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smithbro

Reaction score
I know there have been many threads about these, I have used the search function. What I cannot find is information from long-term users of these 'chips' which just play with the fuel rail pressure. There's plenty of threads with people saying "wow what an awesome upgrade, heaps of power" etc, but nothing about whether they have run them on/off road for extended periods and checked how their motor is actually coping.

I am looking at ordering something like this (the no-limit version that many seem to have used) - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/260664557867?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Has anyone actually run these for an extended period of time?
Did you put your truck on a dyno and raise the boost etc to make your EGTs happy? Or was this not required and it ran happily with stock boost and no other changes?

I am thinking of using one of these on my stock YD25 D22. Possibly change to a aftermarket air filter to allow a bit more air-flow.

mate i'm running a no-limit chip, but on a zd30 so it works differently to the one on the yd25. But as for the chip, it hasn't missed a beat since i purchased it. Had no "extra" drama caused by the chip.

I had a few other mods before the chip went on, 2.5" exhaust, intercooler, 80 series air box, egt gauge and boost gauge. i also replaced the turbo not long after and have the boost around 18psi max. My egts do go above the danger zone if i'm under it flat through each gear, driving like i stole it. Normal driving or even over taking on the high way the egts are fine.

if i was you, i would put an egt gauge in first then chip it. the cheap chips are an open loop set up, so it has no idea what the engine is doing. its up to you to keep it safe and happy.

18mths with my pressure only chip 90% towing running a Beau exhaust and 19psi ,stock was 15psi no issues or drama's with anything done about 45k with it now egt's are fine...
Hope this helps.

Do you guys reckon it is safe to run with stock exhaust? maybe one of the lower tunes. Until I have the time/money to get a bigger exhaust.

I think long term they might be slightly worse for your injectors, but i can't see the harm in one if you can monitor it.
Heaps of people preach the whole "cracked rail" story but if the rails couldn't handle a 2-3% increase in rail pressure (which is what 90% of chips do) they wouldn't be safe to be on the car anyway.

Righto thanks guys. I'll hold off on running it until I've at least got an EGT gauge installed. Probably just get a a/m dump pipe and plumb the probe in there, not keen on tapping the manifold.

I have a tdc chip sold from the US..it does everthing advertized... i had a standard exhaust but i have a manual boost controller.i slowley wound up the boost,maxed the chip and opened up yhe standard exhaust (cat was retained)ran around like that happily for 9 months last year..no errors no worries..heaps of black smoke on takeoff if you let it labor too much but nothing higher up in the revs.egt were totally fine when hooning/towing the car trailer and all this around the hills.couldnt be happier...summer came and so did the heat...egts still were fine but it started to pop the over pressure valve on the back of the rail...i could have shimmed it but i figure its my fail safe limit..turned the chip down instead..ive continued to have similar problems with it..the settings seems to be creeping up all the time...ive spoken to TDC and i will return it as i believe its now faulty..that said i want a replacement...now ive had the chip i dont want to be without it..my one piece or advice to stay on the safe side is dont shim the rail valve...if it needs to blow off excess pressure let it..unless you keen to play or pay.

Latest posts

Back