electronic boost controlers.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbit-chop

Reaction score
Havnt seen much about this on here but it seems a great way to promote early spool up and maintain desired boost pressure thru the rev-range.

So far iv looked at the turbosmart street- $400 and the gizmo,$300, dont know much about it, but both function as a digital guage and turbo timer, but im more interested in performance gain.

Any one running one? Any good?

Mate cany go pasr turbosmart eboost. another good one for helping with spool is greddy porfec i think its called. i use to run a aem truboost controller and it was a great unit cheap to compared to most others. it was very stable and consistant the only trouble i found was it is alot harder to setup than eboost especially to help spool efficency.aem is all set by duty cycle so it makes setup quiet slow you need to have patients to get the best results. We spent probly 2hrs doin dyno runs to get the best result as setting crack pressure and another setting (cant remember the name off the top of my head) takes a lot of time to get the best result. then watched my tuner wack another car on dyno with eboost and had the boost controller dialled in probly 3mins lol. (he likes and does a lot of work with eboosts). Aem have an online store on ebay and tru boost controller is quiet cheap through there. keep in mind my experiences are from 13b rotarys with massive turbos not navaras. damn i miss my mazda :( going from 480rwhp to a nav is not real fun lol

Hey guys can anyone explain how a boost controller promotes 'early spool up'?

i dont see how it does this, i thought they just controlled max boost pressure.

turbos spooling up quicker would be really good for slow speed 4wding etc...

cheers, James

Mate cany go pasr turbosmart eboost. another good one for helping with spool is greddy porfec i think its called. i use to run a aem truboost controller and it was a great unit cheap to compared to most others. it was very stable and consistant the only trouble i found was it is alot harder to setup than eboost especially to help spool efficency.aem is all set by duty cycle so it makes setup quiet slow you need to have patients to get the best results. We spent probly 2hrs doin dyno runs to get the best result as setting crack pressure and another setting (cant remember the name off the top of my head) takes a lot of time to get the best result. then watched my tuner wack another car on dyno with eboost and had the boost controller dialled in probly 3mins lol. (he likes and does a lot of work with eboosts). Aem have an online store on ebay and tru boost controller is quiet cheap through there. keep in mind my experiences are from 13b rotarys with massive turbos not navaras. damn i miss my mazda :( going from 480rwhp to a nav is not real fun lol

Yeah thanks man, im thinking of putting one on the rx sometime down the track too, but im pretty happy with the puny 240rwkw in my little rota at the mo, not 480rwhp tho, jesus that thing must have been a monster! Yeah its a bit different driving a navara, there's something to be said for driving slow in a good throaty diesel tho... ;)
Have you had any experience with the E-boost street?
im still wondering why no-one seems to be using them on diesels?

Last edited:
Hey guys can anyone explain how a boost controller promotes 'early spool up'?

i dont see how it does this, i thought they just controlled max boost pressure.

turbos spooling up quicker would be really good for slow speed 4wding etc...

cheers, James

The way i understand it, is they prevent 'wastegate creep' by shutting the line to the actuator untill desired boost is achieved, and can be programmed to achieve specific boost curve using rpm or throttle position input aswell? dont quote me on this cos clearly im no expert, but they are actively doing stuff to control your wastegate for optimum performance as opposed to a manual boost controller which is just a bleed valve you adjust to shut down yr wastegate a bit.
Im just wondering why no-one seems to be running EBCs on their diesels...

probably just due to cost. i run MBC as electronic is way to expensive and the manual does everything i need it to do.

I dont think $300-$400 is that prohibitive for a quality bit of gear, look at it this way mbc- $100, Boost guage- $100, turbo timer- i dont know how much they are, but an ebc performs all three functions right there.

They do help with wastegate creep and are a few other functions on some that can help. that said it isnt a huge improvement in spool its very minimal in the scheme of things. one of the big things ebcs have going for them is they control boost spikes. not to relevant in a low psi diesel. but with big turbos and external gates big boost spikes and more so boost creep are quiet common and destroy highly strung engines like a hot knife through butter. i havent had much to do with eboost rabbit chop they seem very good but.
Ebc is probably over kill on a nav tbo.
Go have a look at turbosmart website for anyone interested they have some good technical articles about ebcwastegates and all thing turbo related.

Yeah, ok thanks man, yeah was perusing the turbosmart site, the e-boost street looks good, $500, $400 off e-gay, the only thing is theres an rpm input which i dont know about on a diesel, tried sending them an email but had to log in, i cldnt be fukd, oh well, seemed like a good idea, but if the gains are that negligable, then forget it.

I use an Apexi avc-r boost controller on my evolution 2
Lancer and found it made a very noticeable difference in the
Low range and more so in the mid.
Puts out around 350 hp at all 4 wheels.
Helped me shave an extra second of my times around
Our local race circuit so the performance gains are quite
Significant.
As for how an Ebc would perform on a diesel ??
But if I had a turbo diesel I'd definately be giving it a shot.

Craig

I dont think $300-$400 is that prohibitive for a quality bit of gear, look at it this way mbc- $100, Boost guage- $100, turbo timer- i dont know how much they are, but an ebc performs all three functions right there.

unless your pushing 40psi+ then a mbc and a boost gauge totaling $100 will do the same job. i did see some comparisons done years ago that found the difference between electronic and mbc to be 9/10th of F all.

also the difference between a petrol and diesel is that with petrol fueling is related to air flow. so over boost can also mean to much fuel and to much power.
with diesel they are separate, over boosting on a diesel doesn't do bugger all.

I use an Apexi avc-r boost controller on my evolution 2
Lancer and found it made a very noticeable difference in the
Low range and more so in the mid.
Puts out around 350 hp at all 4 wheels.
Helped me shave an extra second of my times around
Our local race circuit so the performance gains are quite
Significant.
As for how an Ebc would perform on a diesel ??
But if I had a turbo diesel I'd definately be giving it a shot.

Craig

A second is a LOT! yeah maybe when iv got some spare cash i might get one and if it doesnt do anything amazing for the nav i'll just stick it in the rota where it'l actually do something.

unless your pushing 40psi+ then a mbc and a boost gauge totaling $100 will do the same job. i did see some comparisons done years ago that found the difference between electronic and mbc to be 9/10th of F all.

also the difference between a petrol and diesel is that with petrol fueling is related to air flow. so over boost can also mean to much fuel and to much power.
with diesel they are separate, over boosting on a diesel doesn't do bugger all.

Fair enough, iv actually got an old mbc lying around somewhere, not really thinking to raise the boost tho unless it gets a bit smokey when the chip goes in.

Latest posts

Back