EGR mod on d40

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Done and dusted.........made up up from a bit of scrap. I have to say firt thing i noticed was the responsiveness off the start. Will you keep you posted as to fuel consumption and the like.

Just installed my blanking plate that I purchased off Ebay. I cannot believe how much build up of crap was already in the EGR pipe and mine only has 5K on the clock! I'm not sure of any improvements yet, could just be in the mind at the moment. Time and distance will tell.

Racketsports

Finally installed the plate i got from jjohn, after finally posting him my 10 bucks. I'm a bit of slack f&^ker. Piece of cake to install. Anyway just finishing a tank of fuel after the install and have had a definite 50km increase in range. My fuel usage is very constant. The car (sorry truck) has been on road since Jan'10. It always hits the low fuel warning light around the 685 mark, give or take 5 or 10ks. I always fill to the first click then stop.
I've never done any ecu reset. Today it lit the warning at 737 kilometres. Haven't noticed any real driving change, just a little less smoke but still noticeable. I think the plate just paid for itself. Thanks jjohn.

just did mod and put plate just before cooler after bend.... massive difference... 132000kms manual 2.5 07 stx... towing/pulling out is awsome... gave car to missus without saying anything... when she got back asked what i did to it... :) happy wife happy life....

Just filled up tonight. 71 litres for 767.5 kilometers. 10.81KM/L. 9.25L/100KM.
City driving mostly 60 zone stuff with about 20% freeway. I think that's a pretty good improvement. The old figure was 9.93L/100KM

Had a few ask for a blanking plate, so got the laser cutter to do some more now.

Has anyone had any issues with NISSAN once they did the EGR mod?
Ive heard of some dealers running Emissions tests on new cars.

No problems here, EGR mod in place and several services done ... about to change the booking for the 70,000km service because that milestone is approaching faster than I thought it would.

That's good to know tony.
The old man is trying to convince me to leave the motor alone, so as to not void warranty.

The reason I asked was a mate has a new ute (ssv Holden) and for the first few services holden had to run emissions tests to make sure it complied with the standards and regulations.
I wasn't sure of Nissan did the same, with mine Being and 11 model.

Mick

My blanking plate is laser cut (very tidy). I fit mine with a gasket each side (inlet end) with no goo so it can be removed very quickly if you like.
I have plenty available right now. P.M. for delivery.

My blanking plate is laser cut (very tidy). I fit mine with a gasket each side (inlet end) with no goo so it can be removed very quickly if you like.
I have plenty available right now. P.M. for delivery.

I've used a Chipit blanking plate and no gasket or goo at all.....very easy to remove.

That's good to know tony.
The old man is trying to convince me to leave the motor alone, so as to not void warranty.

The reason I asked was a mate has a new ute (ssv Holden) and for the first few services holden had to run emissions tests to make sure it complied with the standards and regulations.
I wasn't sure of Nissan did the same, with mine Being and 11 model.

Mick

Michael....with the excellent fuel consumption you are getting I wouldn't bother. It us blokes with the autos that think they are contestants in an Oktoberfest drinking contest who are trying to get a better return for our diesel dollars who are really trying all sorts of options.

Hahaha!

My thoughts were to prevent that black stuff re-entering the motor. And The low end take off power gain, however small it is.

You'll get some gain, but you're also getting EGR from the PCV which feeds into the intake just forward of the turbocharger. This same hose is filling your intercooler with oil too! If you're busting to do a mod and want to do one that won't upset warranty, fit a catch can.

Plenty of threads about it here, many, many pictures too.

Hi all,
I had done the EGR mod, and then recently, when I had some work done to my car, the mechanic mentioned to me about cleaning out the EGR, i said, don't worry it's blocked, he was a bit stumped as to why, but when I explained why, he told me, that the excessive build up in the EGR was the reason I was getting so much shit blowing out the back end of my car. I said, okay, so we cleaned it out a bit and took out the plate, the low end of my power was shot to pieces, I have to rev quite high to get it to take off and the smoke is now coming back after two tanks of fuel... But the top end power is SO much better. You really miss power over about 3500 when you've got the EGR in, I guess the engine just can't get enough air in through the turbo only. I would love to do a mod that opened a secondary butterfly that took in more air on demand, but I wouldn't have the faintest idea how to go about it, sort of like a reverse wastegate.

This brings me to consider various other mods, porting the heads & intakes, bigger intercooler, bigger turbo, but then where do you stop... it's not a bloody race car.

My fuel consumption is also higher with the blanking removed, which I really can't figure out... It just doesn't make sense.

Anyway, have a good one!

Mick, when your throttle is open fully, the EGR valve closes anyway so there's no difference between a blocked EGR or not at that sort of throttle position.

The EGR pipe only has soot in it that builds up over time - it shouldn't be responsible for a lot of smoke. Even if it falls out of the EGR pipe it's going into the exhaust and should appear as a puff at most.

If you want more air, how about a bigger turbo? Also, have you fitted a catch can? If not, do so, then clean out your intercooler which should have a fair bit of engine oil in it (from the blow-by). Your performance will improve a bit more and particularly, your top-end will breathe a lot better.

Latest posts

Back