e locker front and rear

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hay rusty. I know you do your research so you most probably looked into this. What is the word on the front diff handling a locker like this. From what I'm lead to believe ARB don't make air lockers for the front of a diesel D22 because they don't think the diff is strong enough. Has the elocker overcome this in its design or will it just be common sense not to turn to hard lock to lock with it engaged and take it easy.

Cheers.

ARB do make air lockers for front on a D22, they have been for nearly a year now.
Use the search to find the thread.

Sorry Navmania didn't see your post

Arb do make a locker for the front r180 front diff purely for popularity of demand for them. You used to have to do a r200 front diff conversion to get a front locker. Unsure on what arb have done with the locker etc but Harrops E Locker is a complete new diff centre which you swap out the crown wheel onto from the original r180 diff. The reason I chose the e locker is purely they are stronger as a unit and only need a 12v source to run not a compressor + hoses + fittings + etc etc.

Rusty

The way I see having a front locker in is you don't have to drive harder to get to the same places. Let the car crawl through everything as you have gained the ability to have traction all the time even if you lift a wheel(which isn't hard).

It will be good to see how it goes i was almost going to fit one but i decided a good bar and winch will be the go for around the same coin for me that is a mate put a locker in his 04 it transformed it but he spends most of his time in goat country chasing his mates in twin locked patrols ect.

Sorry Navmania didn't see your post

Arb do make a locker for the front r180 front diff purely for popularity of demand for them. You used to have to do a r200 front diff conversion to get a front locker. Unsure on what arb have done with the locker etc but Harrops E Locker is a complete new diff centre which you swap out the crown wheel onto from the original r180 diff. The reason I chose the e locker is purely they are stronger as a unit and only need a 12v source to run not a compressor + hoses + fittings + etc etc.

Rusty

Cheers Russ, I wasn't aware of ARB now making front lockers for the r180. (Learn something every day hay). They look the goods and Harrop has a very good name so it should work without a problem unlike the air leaks the air lockers Seem to get. Maybe one day I will get one. $$$

Yeah look at the 4wd action dvd everyone of those guys have had air locker problems. The only that hasn't is Shaun's 60 because it has an e-locker in the front

Had some time to bust a few hours off-road today. Went to the local pine forest to get the locker working. All I can say is WOW this thing is insane. Wish I had of done it earlier. Steering is slightly heavier both engaged and disengaged but it returns to centre a lot quicker. I also felt myself fighting it a little bit to keep it pointed where I wanted it going. That'd be pretty much standard for any locker upfront.

One of my mate's had a twin locked patrol on 35s and I went everywhere he did. Tell you what there were some very surprised people. I should have footage soon

No probs. Another bonus is the activation of the locker is dead quiet :-D. I have the front e locker and factory lsd in rear with some minor adjustments

Rusty when you got your E locker installed did they change the thickness of the shims and the carrier bearings? I have my E locker sitting at home waiting to go in but am waiting on 4.9 diff ratios to arrive from the states before I rebuild my front diff

Hi dilmah, sorry for of topic but are the new centre gears you are waiting on to help with the 33's. I want to run 33's but as I tow a fair bit I am a bit reluctant to go there.

Cheers

yeah, I'm gonna get a set of 34 - 35's next year so decided to do the diffs

Gear ratios are 4.88, i believe out of an early model petrol D21. not sure if genuine or aftermarket

Rusty when you got your E locker installed did they change the thickness of the shims and the carrier bearings? I have my E locker sitting at home waiting to go in but am waiting on 4.9 diff ratios to arrive from the states before I rebuild my front diff

No idea wbat the mechanic did. He did replace all bearings etc that needed doing. The rear lsd is already shimmed a lil to make it tighter.

Yeah I replaced my rear bearings but had trouble finding the front as they were an odd size

So locker is in! Was installed the day after i left for a 3 month swing at work so have just got home to try it out. What a difference! The fact that it is an open diff now is good as its alot tighter then the shot lsd and is alot smoother! And once you push that little switch nothing will stop the beast now! Just got to be sure that i dint give it too many berrys when lifting a front wheel! Its so quiet to engauge tho! Kinda freaky!!!

Latest posts

Back