Dyno tune

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I found out today there are dyno tuners and then there are REAL dyno tuners.
I rang Racetec dyno,aksd them about tuning my o4 str with a SAFARI Dtec chip and he tells me that because its a sealed unit with no external adjusting screw that he cant do ANYTHING to improve performance,economy, etc.....nothing.

Then i rang DYNOMOTIVE,told him the same thing about my chip etc,and this guy reckons the other bloke doesnt know shit from clay.
He said that he can re program the CHIP,not the ECU,and he can adjust the injection timing,fuel mixture,etc..
He also claims that this chip will get SIGNIFICANT power increase .
I will post printout chart after the tune.
He also said that the chips that have the adjustable settings,by screwdriver ,only adjust fuel flow,and not as good as the safari one.
As he explained with the SAFARI DTRONIC you can buy it and just plug it in and go,or you can have it re programmed to get maximum performance.
Cant wait for Friday to have it done..but should be worth the $440.00

Good work Joe.

I understand that with my screw driver adjustable chip further tuning can be done by re-programming - from the chip dealer and his laptop ofcourse!!

Also worth noting is that each Dyno is different and testers use different conditions - ie 3rd gear or 4 th gear, different tyre pressures etc - all of which I expect would have an impact on the output. I didn't take much notice of the actual figures - just the percentage of increase.

Good luck mate and I hope it all comes up trumps.

looking forward to having it done..
my main point was that tuners with obsolete equipment try and tell you that nothing can be done,when in fact with the proper equipment they can do plenty...
pays to ring a few places before booking in.

Absolutely. When I had mine fitted I didn't even realise my mechanic had a dyno - despite being in the workshop a few times - so it was a bonus when I went to collect and they had the car on the dyno to show me the figures and give me the print out.

It's great when you get to a point when you trust your mechanics and what they can offer. My spotties gave up a few weeks ago so I just drove in and one of the boys came out, checked everything with the meter, found the problem , fixed it and away I went.

Anyway - off topic there - good luck Joe.

Stuff me,the more people i talk to the more conflicting opinions i get.
Today i spoke to Rankin diesel,and this guy tells me he wouldnt put a diesel on a dyno as its like playing with a handgranade,as they shouldnt be thrashed without getting decent air flow into them,as in like when driving.
Then i rang another big/modern place in clayton and he too admitted that a dyno is only worth the printout sheet you get after the test as there is nothing to be done unless there is something wrong to start with.
Playing around too much might stuff the diesel pump,worth $3000 to $4000,and also he reckons that EACH injector from nissan is about a $1000...EACH..
so now i cancelled my dyno as it seems its a waste of time and might be risky to boot..

got mine dyno'ed about 40,00km ago - no probs with mine.

Small point - Everyone bases the stuff they talk about and makes their own conclusions etc in the knowledge that they have available to them at the time. Which means no one knows everything.... all this stuff does mess with ya head tho.

Ridgie said it well "great when you got a trusted mechanic...." Sounds like Scotty has used the horse power factory before. Might be a goer there. Good luck!!

Hey guys im new to the site and am not meaning to take the piss out of horsepower factory just wanting to let people know what i've heard about them sorry in advance in anybody gets upset :S.

From what i've heard about horsepower factory i wouldn't take my car there, a friend of mine had the oil pump shit itself in her 32 gtr and took her car to hpf for a rebuild to standard got quoted $18,500, parts and machining etc. needed to make the engine good for about 400kw should be around 9 grand. This friend was a girl so maybe thought they could hike up the prices or whatever i don't know but im planning on rebuilding my 26 and would expect a price like that if i got the works done .... Another mate had an apprentice start at his garage who claimed to have done his work experience there he recons they had a car they were tuning for a tv show which they ended up blowing up 5 or so times.

Im sure they're not all bad and are a big joint so they must do most cars properly and if anybody has had first had experiences positive or negative experiences with hpf please let me know as stuff i've heard is second hand and isn't always the most accurate, i just thought id let you know what ive heard.

All the best tuning your nav, scotty please ket us know if you got your truck tuned by them and what your thoughts are.

cheers, Pat

superiorcruiser said:
Stuff me,the more people i talk to the more conflicting opinions i get.
Today i spoke to Rankin diesel,and this guy tells me he wouldnt put a diesel on a dyno as its like playing with a handgranade,as they shouldnt be thrashed without getting decent air flow into them,as in like when driving.

That's why good dyno places will have the big proper fans they will sit right in front of your radiator to simulate driving conditions and airflow.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Hey guys im new to the site and am not meaning to take the piss out of horsepower factory just wanting to let people know what i've heard about them sorry in advance in anybody gets upset :S.

From what i've heard about horsepower factory i wouldn't take my car there, a friend of mine had the oil pump shit itself in her 32 gtr and took her car to hpf for a rebuild to standard got quoted $18,500, parts and machining etc. needed to make the engine good for about 400kw should be around 9 grand. This friend was a girl so maybe thought they could hike up the prices or whatever i don't know but im planning on rebuilding my 26 and would expect a price like that if i got the works done .... Another mate had an apprentice start at his garage who claimed to have done his work experience there he recons they had a car they were tuning for a tv show which they ended up blowing up 5 or so times.

Im sure they're not all bad and are a big joint so they must do most cars properly and if anybody has had first had experiences positive or negative experiences with hpf please let me know as stuff i've heard is second hand and isn't always the most accurate, i just thought id let you know what ive heard.

All the best tuning your nav, scotty please ket us know if you got your truck tuned by them and what your thoughts are.

cheers, Pat

Cant comment on that joint as I have had nothing to do with them.

RB26's really should be fitted with N1 oil pumps if being modded.

I dont care what anyone says. You pull more power you put more strain on the motor. Upgrades should be fitted to keep the engine in tip top shape.

Your asking for trouble by pouring in more fuel, more boost without thinking there aren't going to be consequences.

Think ahead and it costs you less in the long run.

Back