Don't Know What Oil Has Been Used, How To Tell?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad74

Reaction score
Hi guys,

This is probably a fairly straightforward question, but just wanted to be sure. I bought a second hand D40 just recently (2007, 2.5L TD, manual), through a dealer. The previous owner requested that the dealer not give out their details, so I have no way of asking what oil he was using. Apparently it always got changed at services and he just asked for fully synthetic.

Where do I go from here? I wouldn't go putting oil in it now without knowing what's in it obviously. Is it safe enough to just drain what's in it and replace it with whatever oil I plan to use?

Thanks in advance for any advice! :)

Yep. If you're worried you could put an oil flush through it before draining the old oil. But just dump it and use whatever you fancy that meets the required specs...

"Most" of the Nissan dealers use Castrol Magnatec if that's any help.
Magnatec isn't synthetic though... "IF" the dealer did indeed use synthetic as requested, the may have used castrol edge 5w30, which is fully synthetic and specified for the yd25 motor, however they really could have put anything in there without the previous owner knowing any better... unless he supplied his own oil...

Just do it yourself, regarless of what was in there before it will be ok. I have seen many motors fail, clean air and oil are the key. I find the YD25 very dirty after 5k, personally 10k I would never do changes at.

unusual why the previous asked the dealer not to give out any details. why not ??
Apparently he had been hastled continuously by someone who'd bought another car he previously owned. That's what the dealer reckoned anyway, not that it matters now.

Just do it yourself, regarless of what was in there before it will be ok. I have seen many motors fail, clean air and oil are the key. I find the YD25 very dirty after 5k, personally 10k I would never do changes at.
Yeah well it's about 5000km since I bought it now so I'll probably use an oil flush and drain it, then it'll be just about 5000km till it's next service is due.

Latest posts

Back