Diesel Issues

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

888nav

Reaction score
Hey guys just joined up, I have an 04 d22 st-r lately in the morning or on the first start it winds over for a while before it starts and then blows a huge cloud of smoke and it has been using a lot of diesel since it started playing has anyone had this problem or have any ideas would it could be? any ideas or opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Andrew

Does it still have the original Glow plugs??

If it does then that could be an answer to the starting problem.
They are relatively cheap and easy to replace.

Thank you. I bought it in October 2011 from a car dealer and it had a cracked head and they finally fixed it in January 2012 and the mechanic at the dealership said they replaced the glow plugs as well. how long should they last?

they should last longer then that, did they replace the head? does it use water at all?

yea they replaced the head on it and claimed to have done the plugs. It hasn't been using hardly any water but lots of diesel I'm getting around 70ks from quarter of a tank with an empty tray.

high fuel consumption and blowing lots of smoke could possibly be the injectors, how is the power?

The hard to start and blowing smoke points towards glow plugs.

also it really shouldn't use any water, when you say it "hardly uses any" how often or how many km before you have to put water in it and how much?

sorry I should of said it doesn't use any water I think my step dad has topped it up twice since the head was done I stay away from the radiator area. yea its lost a fair amount of power from how it was before especially on any type if hill it just dies.

In that case i would be looking at the injectors, and maybe the pump but more so the injectors.
Being a ZD30 the injectors will be much cheaper then the newer common rail ones.

I would drop in and see a reputable Diesel workshop and get them to have a look at it.

what area are you in?

depends on where you are but if you are anywhere near Sydney then "WEST END DIESEL" from Wetherill Park are very good.

Welcome to the forum.

A sudden loss of power points to either a component failure or bad fuel and the consistent poor cold-start performance points directly at the glow plugs. These plugs will have a relay & fuse and either of those could have a fault too. Checking the electrical items isn't too difficult but the glow plugs are a little more difficult.

The underpowered issue is probably separate and could be the result of several things.

See if you can draw some fuel out from the bottom of the fuel tank into a clean container. Does the fuel look clear? Any signs of water in it? What about debris, like rust, sand, soil, clay? It's possible that you filled it up with contaminated fuel.

It would be worth checking the fuel & air filters.

Finally, clean the hoses around the turbocharger inlet, remove the hose and with your finger, give the fan inside a spin. It should move very smoothly (although it might resist movement slightly when cold) and the shaft shouldn't wobble at all. If that's damaged, there's the power issue - and if you don't have an intercooler, driving it risks destroying the entire engine.

Welcome to the forum.

A sudden loss of power points to either a component failure or bad fuel and the consistent poor cold-start performance points directly at the glow plugs. These plugs will have a relay & fuse and either of those could have a fault too. Checking the electrical items isn't too difficult but the glow plugs are a little more difficult.

The underpowered issue is probably separate and could be the result of several things.

See if you can draw some fuel out from the bottom of the fuel tank into a clean container. Does the fuel look clear? Any signs of water in it? What about debris, like rust, sand, soil, clay? It's possible that you filled it up with contaminated fuel.

It would be worth checking the fuel & air filters.

Finally, clean the hoses around the turbocharger inlet, remove the hose and with your finger, give the fan inside a spin. It should move very smoothly (although it might resist movement slightly when cold) and the shaft shouldn't wobble at all. If that's damaged, there's the power issue - and if you don't have an intercooler, driving it risks destroying the entire engine.

I'm in the central west so id be looking at taking it to places like orange parkes forbes and dubbo. you wouldn't happen to know of any good ones around those areas would you?

Thanks old.tony much appreciated. I took it to an auto sparky to get there computer thing hooked onto they said nothing came up but they changed the diesel filter and theres been no difference that was about 2-3 weeks ago. I noticed the other day theres an oil build up around the turbo ive heard that its a d22 thing but not to sure if its anything to do with whats happening.

If there's a small oil build-up inside the turbo piping from where the PCV hose enters onwards, it's perfectly normal (all cars get this). It comes from blow-by, up the hose at the back of the camshaft cover and into the air intake. You can choose to put a catch can in the way to try and capture the oil.

If there's a flood of oil, or oil on the outside, there's cause for concern.

A flood of oil inside could be turbo bearings. Remove the intake and check the shaft as described earlier.

If there's a small amount of oil outside, it could be the bolts that hold the turbocharger together - not easy to get to, but inspect (cold engine) the back end of the turbo.

It might also just be a boost leak - loose or overtightened clamps, damaged hoses - they'll show as small unexpected oil emissions from the hose. You may also hear a shrieking or squealing with a boost leak.

I'm in the central west so id be looking at taking it to places like orange parkes forbes and dubbo. you wouldn't happen to know of any good ones around those areas would you?

Not sure if you ever go to Wagga but DENCO DIESEL are good and highly recommended across Aus. Turbo's, injection, pumps ect i would go to them.

Here is a link to their web site

http://www.dencodiesel.com/index.php

-----------------------

Thanks for the help guys I really appreciate it. I cant keep up with this ute today it didn't wind over as much on the start or use as much diesel on the highway then other days it uses heaps like I was saying and loses power. can injectors be saved or is it better to just replace them if that's the problem?

Hi All, I am another newbee with a D22 3.0Lt TURBO Diesel, don't know jack about diesels . Love the D22 except the lack of power. A mate at work has the same but an 04, mines an 06 . His is 0 to 100 in just ove 20 seconds , mine 48 seconds . Same revs at 80 and 100 . happy to sit on 115 to 120 . 9ltrs per 100 ks. What could be wrong . Also where can I get a good read on diesel engines . all help welcome.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back