Desperate D40 problem after service

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just gone 1 oclock, mechanic still cant find problem, hes found a fist full of what looks like insulation in the passenger side of intercooler removed and cleaned out intercooler. God only knows how it got there, hes reset the computer and now it is coming up manifold fault still no power. So hes now removing the CAT to see if it is blocked up. Hes also said he has rang around and no one seems to be able to identify the cause...faaaaaark

Can he give you an error code? How the hell did that stuff get into the intercooler? It has to get through the turbocharger to get in there, so goodness knows what damage has been done to the turbo.

The error has to be cleared before you get any power, particularly if it's a "terminal" failure.

That's B.S, how the hell can foam get into the intercooler?. Sounds like the mechanic has F***ed up something major, maybe he didn't unwrap the new air filter of it's packaging properly?

Certainly a odd one, pulling that shit out of the intercooler.

I am with Tony, Id say MAF.

Getting a little high tech for me but I believe the code coming up is MPA, manifold pressure. Put a camera thru cat and from top of exhaust and it showed up nothing.
After he replaced intercooler he took it for a drive and still no power (probably limp mode still).
He is out of answers local Nissan dealer has no answers just put me onto a deisel tech who will book the car in if I need to.
I just wanted to change the oil cry cry cry

The latest is replaced exhaust, put the car on the computer comes up NATS car wont start. disconnect battery pump brake reconnect battery car starts but is very slugish. Thats a full day 2 guys working on it plus 1 guy for 3 hours Saturday. Its looking like I am going to have to get it trailered to this tech guy and start putting my hand in my pocket.
I found out that the NATS code may have something to do with the security WTF?

Yeah the NATS is Nissan anti theft security from memory.

Could of happened when the battery was diconnected.

Have heard the Pom's mention it before. Mainly the D22's though.

Yeah if NATS wants to throw up an error it can and probably will stop the car running. I remember following a few threads ages ago about NATS and how to reset it and how to make it behave better but I don't remember which site it was on.

Yes Nathan and it ran fine stationary. didnt try and drive it

mate if it run fine with the intake disconnected from the turbo, the problem has to be somewhere between there and the first point of where the air enters, eg snorkel.
you just have to think that if you have the car running good with that section excluded from the intake then the problem has to be in that section. every time you hook it up again the thing doesn't run.
i would be going through that section with a fine tooth comb. then start to put one piece back on at a time until it runs like crap again and you will have isolated your problem.

i cant understand how anything like insulation or sticks can get passed the turbo or the air filter.
wasnt the car running good before it went to this so called mechanic?
if it was then how the @#@#@ did all of this crap get into the intercooler with out you noticing a loss in power or anything at all.
please put me out of my misery and try what i suggested so at least you can rule all that out of the equation. :cheers!:
nathan

Tony Im in the Campbelltown district the local dealer reluctantly gave me a number that they send their vehicles to. My mechanic got a bloke in this arvo who has a more advanced computer system than his, did some scans and has taken the reults away......

Like nathan said it has to be on the inlet from where the air first comes in to the airbox right throught o where it goes into the turbo.. If it ran fine without that on it has to be there.Also if the hose was colapsing it must be blocked...I bet it has a rag stuffed in there..Im also from campbeltown so would be keen to know who to avoid. Could you inbox me the mechanic?? Cheers..

Kyle im not far from campbelltown only 20min, so if i can help send me a pm with your number and i will organise it with you.
nathan

Thanks for your help Nathan, and all of you for your input and suggestions.
It looks like the problem has been staring us in the face the hole time, The mechanic removed the MAFS cleaned it up and away it went.
He recommends replacing it what do you reckon?

Wouldn't hurt to change it and keep the old one as a spare.

But its got me !@#$%^ how styrofoam got into the intercooler.

Yes Dave it is a real mystery, 2 months ago it head butted a dune on Stockton beach. Sheared the bottom radiator mounts off and turned the cooler fan into a tea saucer. Un be known to the driver at the time they didnt realise the coolant had escaped so drove on till the temp started to rise. It got trailered home and was put into shop to get repaired: new radiator, fan, shroud. Then we realised there was air getting in the coolant system so the head had been warped.
That was a couple of months ago and it has been running fine, so weather it was something someone left in there or what I really cant explain.

Back