d40 start up rattle

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jared balmer

Reaction score
Hi Guys. need advice again
Im having a little rattle noise in the top end of my d40 2.5 on start up
it only does it for 5 seconds or so then goes away. I change oil every 5000ks with Penrite HPR 5-40
Now that the truck has 105.000 on it should i be using a thicker oil ??

I think there's some value in having a listen to your timing chain. The tensioners have been troublesome in some D40s, causing the chains to stretch. If you aren't pursuing it under warranty, check www.yd25.com.au - they sell a replacement kit with a far superior chain.

Check either of the belts, mines been doing it for about 40K and I just dry lube the belt every 6 months or so. Just be aware that there are certain sprays/lubes you can't or shouldn't use on the serpentine belt.

Hope its not Timing chain AAARRRggg it just sounds like no oil in top end on start up
But for peice of mind maybe i should do the timing chain. how much would the kit cost Old Tony ?

I don't know what they cost, but you can contact yd25.com.au and ask them. Have a look at the pics on this page and this page first.

If I ever replace mine (just a tad over 99,000km on mine now) I'll get the duplex version.

Fingers crossed that it's just a clattery injector. My injectors get rattly on mornings where the temp is 15C or less. I resolved that by putting 300ml of 2-stroke (Castrol Activ 2T) in my fuel tank - this is NOT recommended for everyone, Nissan don't approve of this as an additive and there is no conclusive evidence that it does anything beneficial (or detrimental) to your engine. In mine, it makes my injectors quieter and MIGHT provide a small improvement in fuel economy although the economy figures could have been tainted by mood, humidity, ambient temperature, morons and lycra warriors. Okay, sometimes the last two are the same.

Latest posts

Back