D40 problems

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Staity

Reaction score
Thinking of buying a Dual Cab and love the look of the D40. But have heard on the grape vine about major gearbox issues about navs in general, has anyone experienced this specifically with the D40? If there was an issue previously, has it since been rectified? Or are there any other major issues people have come across? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Never really herd of any "gearbox" probs........... what gearbox do you mean AUTO or MANUAL??

Like all manufactures most have issues with the DUAL MASS flywheel that are now used causing premature clutch failure, personally i havent had any probs, touch wood.

Have a read through the forum and you will see problems, BUT then go and read any other forum for HILUX, BT50, Triton ect and you will see probs there too as far as im concerned there will always be lemons and it doesnt matter which make or model you look at.

Hilux have issues with diffs (and aren't people now complaining about valves or something?) BT50's are receiving complaints about cracked tubs after installation of canopies, Tritons look fcken ugly, Nav's have all manner of issues that will render them useless. I learnt all this form the internet and it only took 10 mins of searching.

Seriously, all manufactures make lemons, all manufactures make cars people have no issues with over a lifetime it's the luck of the draw. D40's have had a few issues (as nath said) but no more or less than any other vehicle.

Also as nath says have a look around this site you'll see like any other car D40's have had some issues, some are with the vehicle and some are with the driver but some are the sort the owner can either remedy or through knowing about not suffer from.

huh? gearbox failures? what knob told you that?

only problem is as mentioned above the DMF which as far as I know they don't use anymore? they went back to a Solid flywheel for the thai models im pretty sure and the STX is auto only anyway.

I know manual hilux's have a pretty temperamental gearbox if you tow to much in 5th (which you shouldn't do anyway) it can strip the teeth on the gears or something but never heard of any D40 having gearbox issues, obviously there might be the odd case due to owner neglect but you get that in every model.

edit: yea Krafty the hilux rear diff seals are all leaking after a few years now or something.

2008 and 2009 d40 manuals had clutch issues..mine was replaced at 30000 klms and another 'rare' drivetrain problem at 45000 klms...nissan say they fixed it and now done 95000 klms without an issue.

huh? gearbox failures? what knob told you that?

only problem is as mentioned above the DMF which as far as I know they don't use anymore? they went back to a Solid flywheel for the thai models im pretty sure and the STX is auto only anyway.

I know manual hilux's have a pretty temperamental gearbox if you tow to much in 5th (which you shouldn't do anyway) it can strip the teeth on the gears or something but never heard of any D40 having gearbox issues, obviously there might be the odd case due to owner neglect but you get that in every model.

edit: yea Krafty the hilux rear diff seals are all leaking after a few years now or something.

Does this mean my 2010 Thai ST D40 has solid flywheel?

Gearboxes on the Navara range are pretty solid. The D40s have had clutch issues but only really because they're tall-geared and the older ones have dual-mass flywheels. The D22s get a dodgy neutral position switch.

There have been a couple of D40s with leaking transfer case seals - but that's no big deal.

If you are considering towing, get an auto. Smooth changing, but it's a little slow to change from forward/reverse (unless you rev the engine, then it thumps you).

My 08 kingcab gearbox was faulty from new, jumped out of 5th gear. The dealer had seen others jump out of gear but with more k's. The earlier models had lots of early clutch failures, but so did Hiux, Jeep etc anything with a DMF.

If your looking for a vehicle to do the odd bit of offroading or beach work then they are great, but any serious offroad work isn't their strong point as the front end drive line is very weak.

d40 very nice car i loved it but sold it after 2 years with low KM. I had turbo solenoid which control the VGT changed 4 times and had some bit of shaking was not really happy as some mechanic told me they have soft rubbers. apart from this its a very nice car i will look at navara again one day but only when they change the solenoid to electronic like on my new triton glxr. I do agree with the above all cars will have something or other that will get you going to take your car in to the dealer.

Solenoid on the turbocharger actuator went electronic in late 2010 and guess what ... it had problems! Since 2011 there haven't been any reports of trouble though so they've obviously got it working well.

Just had my clutch in my 2007 D40 replaced at 106000 km. Very little towing at all.
Replaced with Xtreme Outback HD. Very happy with it.

This Topic did my head in about a year ago, I spent hours, days even weeks reading searching for what I thought was going to be the best near new ute on the market! as said above all manufactures have problems.... but I was specifically told by many family and friends not to touch a d40 Navarra! ..... long story short I ended up buying a 2011 Thai D40 ST and it has been honestly a dead set BEAST and couldn't be happier with my decision... was always leaning towards a Toyota hilux sr5 but when I upgrade this car I am certain ile buy another Navarra if its half as good as this one! :D

This Topic did my head in about a year ago, I spent hours, days even weeks reading searching for what I thought was going to be the best near new ute on the market! as said above all manufactures have problems.... but I was specifically told by many family and friends not to touch a d40 Navarra! ..... long story short I ended up buying a 2011 Thai D40 ST and it has been honestly a dead set BEAST and couldn't be happier with my decision... was always leaning towards a Toyota hilux sr5 but when I upgrade this car I am certain ile buy another Navarra if its half as good as this one! :D

I just bought a hilux and couldn't be happier, I looked at the car as a whole package though not just price and how many tassels it has on it like most people do.

Latest posts

Back