D40 LPG conversion query

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quandong

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just recently purchased a 2009 Nav, VQ Petrol, 6 speed manual.

I am wanting to know peoples thoughts about LPG Conversion on this vehicle.

I have read on many forums and websites that there are some concerns about gas conversions on these vehicles.

The thing that confuses me is that I have seen some vehicles on the road converted, and the owners manual lists LPG components to check when servicing.

Can any one assist me with what things I need to know, or what modifications might need to be done to protect the engine once converted?

Thanks

Quandong

I have heard that they are not a good conversion candidate. The service books are generic, it listed LPG engines, petrol engines and two types of diesel engines for a D22 in the manual for my R51 pathfinder.

Hi I am in the UK so some of my experiences will be different from Australia. At present Autogas is about 1/2 to 2/3rds the cost of 'normal' unleaded petrol.

LPG Autogas is a total pain in the arse and waste of time in my opinion.

I had a 4.0 V8 Land Rover Discovery that cost me £2600 to have converted to a high spec multi point system. Before the conversion the car did about 16mpg, after it went down to 13mpg.

The car would start on petrol and once warmed up would switch to LPG, so occasionally I had to fill with petrol anyway. The gas tank was fitted in the back so prevented me from lowering the back seats for a load area.

The gas tank range was only about 144 miles before running back to petrol. So I spent a lot of time looking for the needle in the haystack that is a fuel station that did Autogas. Frequently I found stations that had run out of Autogas!

Once to the petrol station, you had only one pump to go to. That was probably occupied by the numpty that did his/her weekly shopping at the station. Once you got to the pump, it was a trial to fill up as the pumps are very slow, about twice as long to fill with gas compared to other fuels.

The system needed servicing at the dealer every year at about £100 for a new filter and a 2 minute check on the computer. A total rip off. The ignition system needs to be in tip top condition with new sparkplug leads every year or so.

I kept the Disco for 4 years and never felt that I got value for money out of the conversion and as stated it was a pain travelling a long distance. I finally got rid of the car when I moved to an area without any Autogas stations.

The tax duty break on Autogas is being reduced year on year so the price is rising faster than other fuels.

Don't bother.

The VQ40 will not run on Gas in short. Apparently there are issues with heads and the exhaust.The service book is a general book and not just for our trucks.Its a generic type thing.
Back in 05/06 a few places tried to do the conversion and from memory they all had the same problem of engine melt down .
Was told when I bought the truck that converting to gas would void all engine warranty so it was a known issue way back then .

Last edited:
i was originally thinking of getting a v6 and gassing it, but heard that running them on gas detroys the cat converters, with the insides getting recirculated back into the engine, then boom!

I currently get 12.1lt/100 from my V6 on 95.
Could get better if I wasnt having so much fun driving it .
Converting to gas would be ok but it would take a few years to break even I think
But on the plus side there is heaps of good gear available from the US for the V6 VQ40

Latest posts

Back