D40 Fuel Economy

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too early to see a real figure (I have not gone from fill to fill yet) but indicated economy on my STX 550 is 8.5L/100 so far. Seat of the pants by the fuel gauge and trip meter says it might be close to that. Still in running in mode though although the torque means it will not be pushed along as hard as my old YD25 Pathfinder.

I have had my STX 2012 for just over a month now and after stepping out of an 09 STX 2.5 auto, I must say I love it.
Four tanks so far and the last fill saw 770klms for 69 litres with the gauge showing 8.8avg, with the worst tank so far being 9.3avg.
I have had it average 8.0avg on a drive from Brisbane to Warwick which was the last tank.
My 09 was a good car but pales in comparison best I saw out of it was 770 but I had to work to get it Brisbane to Yamba and back and alot of light throttle.
I drive with the cruise on the new one anytime I am on the highway.
If only I was as happy with the paintwork but that is another thread that I may start.:deadhorse2:

Well I'm full loaded 2800kg if not more from full tank to fuel light on so about 65L i got 330km not good all city driving but.
iv get average 16L per 100km worst being 23L per 100km and my best being bout 15L per 100km

You're figures are like those of mine. I get around 350 k's out of 65L, except that I'm not loaded at all. It's at the dealers ATM, trying to sort out 3 issues:
- fuel economy
- tranny in limp mode
- spongy brake pedal since a couple of weeks ago

It's been in for a week now and still nothing :pissedoff:

I've got an '09 manual not too impressed with the economy. Brought it second hand back in April with 19,000 on the clock. Go to Perth about once a month and usually sit on 110-115kph (just under 2,500 rpm) and am getting about 12.84 lt per 100k's. That's with myself, the Missus and her little girl and about 4 bags in the tub. But like old.tony said when I'm in town I usually keep it under the 2000 rpm mark and notice that I get more k's.

Is a shame really, was hoping that it would be good on the highway and poor round town. I have herd from a few people that the earlier model D40's get a little better after 40,000 but that's still a little while away yet.

So if anyone has a magical fuel saving trick (apart from have to drive at 100kph) feel free to share said information.

Until then....BP here I come!

I'm averaging around 11/100 sometimes lower at the moment, I have a steel bar on, winch, ATs etc and compared to the 2003 Jeep KJ i had before the Nav, 11/100 is brilliant, the Jeep averaged 16/100. I am in the country with 100km & 110km road everywhere so I am mostly highway driving though I noticed I get a lot better economy at 100km/h rather than 110km/h

I've got an '09 manual not too impressed with the economy. Brought it second hand back in April with 19,000 on the clock. Go to Perth about once a month and usually sit on 110-115kph (just under 2,500 rpm) and am getting about 12.84 lt per 100k's. That's with myself, the Missus and her little girl and about 4 bags in the tub. But like old.tony said when I'm in town I usually keep it under the 2000 rpm mark and notice that I get more k's.

Is a shame really, was hoping that it would be good on the highway and poor round town. I have herd from a few people that the earlier model D40's get a little better after 40,000 but that's still a little while away yet.

So if anyone has a magical fuel saving trick (apart from have to drive at 100kph) feel free to share said information.

Until then....BP here I come!

Well I am impressed!

On the return trip home from Perth i decided to sit on 100kph, revs being about 2100 and let the cruise control do all the work. Continuously looking the other way when getting overtaken.

Had a bit more weight this time round. Got a new MCC 4x4 rear bar, its a nice bit of gear but weighs around 50kg and also brought a ToughDog 2" lift kit, so had that in the back as well (will fit next break) and brought a WAECO 60lt fridge with a few other bits and bobs. All up am guessing bout and extra 125-150kg worth of gear than the trip down.

So far i have done 620k's and no fuel light yet!!! its almost on empty but i know from the last few fill ups when the light comes on i have used 68lt (12lt left)

Which puts me round 10.97lt per 100k at present. Amazing how much difference 400rpm makes. If only i could get this economy doing 110kph.

Realistically you can get that economy at speeds between 100 and 110 but it takes work.

Firstly George is a terrible driver for economy, on any given trip from my place to the city (about 180 odd ks each way) George will add about 0.5-1lph per trip at speeds in the 90's and about 1-1.5lph at speeds between 100-110. This is mainly because of hills but it's also because George sees no gradient at all and even a slight rise can increase the instant lph figures to 20+ for a few seconds and with enough of them your average goes up.

Watching the instant figures it is possible in my ute to maintain cruising figures in the low 10's at speeds up to 110 however it's also easier at those speeds to kick those 10's into 12's without appearing to do anything. I know most people don't want to work hard when they are driving, steering, watching the road and watching the speedo is more than enough work for some and any more work they think out weighs the potential fuel savings and each to their own but it's not really that hard to get 10's and better out of these utes. (these meaning the ones I drive, my nav a BT50 and the farm Lux)

I came out of the city yesterday, the freeway was moving well which was a blessing and after the 80 zones which extend about 12ks from the city I was able to cruise at about 95 in the 100 zone. 100 zone extends out of the city about 100ks these days and sitting on 95 meant I wasn't creeping up on too many cars and I wasn't holding up anyone. Once in the 110 zone I sat between 97 and 103 depending on the hills and when I got home about 180ks later I returned a trip figure of 8.5. I definitely wasn't loaded with much weigh not that weigh in the tub effects things that much but I was driving by the fuel gauge because I knew I didn't have to watch the speedo.

Like I say each to their own I drive for economy, others drive for speed doesn't make either right.....(expect for the fact that I'm more righter than anyone else).

Too early to see a real figure (I have not gone from fill to fill yet) but indicated economy on my STX 550 is 8.5L/100 so far. Seat of the pants by the fuel gauge and trip meter says it might be close to that. Still in running in mode though although the torque means it will not be pushed along as hard as my old YD25 Pathfinder.

My 2012 V6 is averaging just over 10, but that is driving in the mountains, a bit of snow driving (4wd) and winter mix diesel (and a bit of heavy right foot at times - it's fun!). My drive to work is from Jindabyne to Perisher and it is hills all the way though they seem a bit smaller now with this motor ......

This is about 1.5 litres better than my 2006 D40 and travelling quicker. As soon as it is out of hilly stuff and on the highway it drops into the 8's.

Will be interesting to see how it goes with towing the ski boat around. The old one liked a drink when this was on the back and I am hoping that this uses less and does it a lot easier.

Just about to turn over 10k and get serviced

Have to say I like it lot more than the old one! Just need ARB to get the steel bar on the market and then some decent tyres .......

Just did 100kms with a fresh tank & my dash is saying I'm sitting on 7.2l/100km!...she's just clicked over 2700kms now.

Towed my race car from kilmore to goulburn and back last week on the cruise control all the way both ways. 13.2L/100 on the way up, 12.5 on he way back. The dash display is also pessimistic by about 0.4L/100 km so the stated 8.5 ish fomr before the trip is probably a bit over the 8 mark in fact. Now down around the same figure in general driving, but it is still a bit in the squirt and giggle stage with the torque so it will probably improve with my wife driving it instead of me.

It has seriously impressed me as a tow car, even compared to the previous car (R51 pathfinder) I had to keep looking in the mirror and reminding myself that there was 1800 kg or so attached to the back of it. There were only a couple of points on the whole trip where it fell away from the cruise control set point, even then only by a couple of kmh and a bit of extra throttle applied manually held it up there. It must have a throttle percentage limit under cruise control as it did not even gear down to hold up the speed. I don't reckon it went below fifth gear at any time on the move.

Happy with fuel economy

Hi all, I am new to the forum and have recently purchased a new ST D40. I spent many hours looking at this site and plenty of others before making my purchase. I heard plenty of horror stories as to why I shouldn't buy a Navara however with every horror story there was a positive story. I have only done 2000k's but so far I have achieved excellent results. I have consistently achieved 680km out of each tank and both times I still had 100km until empty. At the moment my trip computer is reading 8.8 km/per 100km. My biggest gripe with the car is so far is that the high beam dash light is so bright it makes it hurts your eyes when driving in the dark. I tried dimming the dash lights which made no change to the blue high beam dash light.

. My biggest gripe with the car is so far is that the high beam dash light is so bright it makes it hurts your eyes when driving in the dark. I tried dimming the dash lights which made no change to the blue high beam dash light.

Hahaha i found it so annoying that i got some tinted vinyl sticker and cut it out a little bigger then the light so it dimmed it, basically gave it some sunnies haha.
Never thought to see if anyone else found it distracting, BUT im glad to hear im not the only one..... hahaha

Never thought to see if anyone else found it distracting, BUT im glad to hear im not the only one..... hahaha

After 10 years of driving 10pm to 10am I'm so over dash lights, mine are always at their lowest. Last time the topic was raised by someone on this forum the general consensus seemed to be that stadium lighting inside the ute is a must have.

After 10 years of driving 10pm to 10am I'm so over dash lights, mine are always at their lowest. Last time the topic was raised by someone on this forum the general consensus seemed to be that stadium lighting inside the ute is a must have.

In my pov pack ST i cant dim the lights, but its only that blue high beam light that is distracting, the other stadium lights make me feel special even if its in my mind :eviltongue:

We hated the high beam telltale in our old R51 Pathy, it was so bad I used to drive with my right hand in an odd spot on the wheel so my palm covered teh telltale!

I ended up pulling the dahsboard out when it was a couple of months old and gluing a couple of layers of ND filter film in between the body of the dash and the screen printed display stuff (It is just on a layer of plastic) Fixed it forever. thankfully enough people mush have complained as the new D40 does not seem to be such a problam. not enough to motivate me to pull the dash out of it anyway.

The film was pretty cheap and I used photo leim glue as it is neutral curing and also removable, it just rubs off with your finger.

In my pov pack ST i cant dim the lights, but its only that blue high beam light that is distracting, the other stadium lights make me feel special even if its in my mind :eviltongue:

Oh so you are one of them...gee I had more hope for you!

Latest posts

Back