D40 Fuel Economy

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get worse in the country when George drives like a dick. I let George drive home from the farm today and the moron couldn't get the LPH average under 11.4, any other day on the same stretch of road it's around 10.2. George must be getting tired.

I get worse in the country when George drives like a dick. I let George drive home from the farm today and the moron couldn't get the LPH average under 11.4, any other day on the same stretch of road it's around 10.2. George must be getting tired.

Curious George?

George is the guy who takes over at the push of a button when I am too lazy to drive, he's a savior some days but other days he is a bit heavy on the go gas.

Ahh, I see.

Attachments

• Curious George.jpg
    Curious George.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 78
Recently did 1400k's over 5 days down to Cootamundra and surrounding towns with the majority being highway use sitting on 113km/h (using gps) and driving around town etc.
She returned a figure of 9.2l/100.
On the way there it was 8.9l/100 but after the driving around etc it blew out haha.
I refilled and headed home with only highway driving and when i got home it read 7.9l/100.
After hearing all the horror stories I'm very happy with the result.

Last edited:
Travelled from Perth to Geelong driving 07 D40 Diesel Auto towing a 19ft Starcraft Outback caravan i was getting between 30.5L/100 to 34.5L/100 = 260km from 140 litre tank, until at Murray Bridge when the motor overheated and stop my trip

Geez I'd except some effect from the van but 30+LPH is a bit too extreme.

There aren't many towns on the Nullarbor that are less than 250ks apart, you would have needed to stop a lot more than I ever have on my trips across.

30-40% more fuel, yeah right! Based on that figure an 09 manual the same as mine would have to get 240-320ks more out of a tank of fuel than mine. I haven't heard of too many Nav's without LRT's that get over 1000ks per tank.

3-4% maybe (although not going by my figures) but 30-40 someones writing fanciful articles.

I think there's a little exaggeration in their figures.

We recently drove from Newcastle to Melbourne, took the dinghy across to Taswegia and filled up in Launceston. We travelled 1,118.0 km and used 120.91 litres - works out to be 10.6LPHK. The factory figures are supposed to be 10.5LPHK and not only do we have a canopy, but we were loaded - something around the 2700kg mark.

The ONLY mod on mine is the EGR mod. I do think that has made a difference, but to get near the factory figure weighing 700kg more is doing pretty darn good.

I haven't touched my DPF. In fact, I'm starting to think it's not such a scary beast - I used to think biodiesel was something to be concerned about too, but getting a load of that (not home-brewed, of course) and finding that I'm using less fuel than with dinosaur is an eye-opener.

I'm not worried about the DPF. I might save more fuel if I didn't have it - but I don't blow soot out the back and the inside of my exhaust is shiny clean. It's something I'm actually liking enough to say the DPF might just stay when the warranty's gone.

See Tony you can get decent fuel figures :ha:

I've never been scared of the DPF because I've seen them on trucks for years and sure they cost a bit to replace if they die but the percentage of dead ones compared to the number in use is so low it probably starts with a 0. I also agree not filling the garage full of smoke and creating back fume marks on the inside of the roller door is a big benefit to having a DPF, although a 2yr old car should really do that anyway.

Going by figures expressed by others on this site I'm not using more fuel than other 09 auto's and in most cases I'm using even less than the manuals which are supposedly so much better on economy. The DPF isn't the be all and end all of fuel economy, like in every car the be all and end all of good economy is the idiot in the drivers seat.

Bio Diesel is just one of those "unknown" area. My old boss used to make his own to run the trucks off and he never had any issues but there is plenty of people who have brought a home brew and had issues. One would hope anything commercially sold as BD would have some chance of keeping the motors running but like everything it's a risk and it's risk that can easily see car warranties void, but I agree it doesn't mean all BD should be feared.

2010 stx auto with DPF ( DPF hollwed out with star picket)
15L per/100km before star picket
13L per 100km after star picket

Just had ECU remapped to delete DPF functions and sensors and remapped fuel for economy and low down torque.

You Guys smash anything I can come close to.
I have a 2011 ST-X Series 4
Auto, 2" lift, 265-70-17 Cooper st tyres, ARB bull bar and Driving Lights.
My Trip Computer consistently tells me that it is doing around 11.7 - 12.
That is with a mix on city driving, off road and long distance driving.

Have you confirmed those figures with actual fuel usage and GPS k's because it's not unheard of for the vehicle trip computer to be out.

lol 56 pages and counting lol

i only got my d40 last week still on the first tank of diesel
so far 450km and sitting just under half so im happy so far once i no what i get till the light comes on ill let you know cheers and mines a manual

Only done 3000k's so far in mine. Last 2 tanks 10 and 10.1 LPH 100Ks. I could better that if I tried. Has a bullbar, driving lights... which prolly don't help.

2011 ST-X King Cab

2.5 tonnes of compressor, barbed wire, poles and tools dragged around the paddock in a tandem axle trailer killed my economy this week. According to the scangauge the on road economy (including 2 trips with 12 x 2.4m sleepers and 8 x 2.1m "H" beams in a trailer) to farm was 10.3 where as usage on the the farm with the compressor etc was 14.3.

While I am generally pretty happy with my solo economy (driving without van) I must say I get rather envious when I read the figures quoted by the Triton, Ranger/BT50 & D-Max/Colorado boys. If it was only a few the figures could be dismissed as BS, but it is the vast majority that claim impressive figures, without even trying.

Latest posts

Back