D40 Fuel Economy

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As stated in another thread having just done my fuel figures for the trip across the Nullabor and around Perth my best tank by tank economy was 9.2 per 100 and the worst was 11.3 with the average being 10.3. Overall I'm impressed enough not to want to trade the Nav in but will be interesting too see if I can better it on the way home.

Is your truck an auto or manual?

Pete mine is an auto. I got back home from Perth a few hours ago and although I haven't worked out the figures for the whole trip yet on the whole I think the average was not as good as the trip over to Perth although today on the final leg I got 8.5 l/100k which was really suprising given it was from one side of Melbourne to the other on Citylink. Guess the fuel gods were looking down on me today.

Also like Tony's everything on mine is standard and according to scanguage I'm doing about 2150 rpm most of the time at 100.

Despite my good run down Citylink yesterday I was right about my fuel figures for the trip home from Perth they were higher than those heading to Perth.

Heading home from Perth my average was 10.6 l/p 100K which was only .3 of a litre worse than the trip over so I'm not upset by the figures and considering the break down of ks and expenses were fairly close to even both ways I'll be interested to see how it goes next time we do the trip given that it wont be a new car by then.

With fuel and accommodation included driving to Perth from here cost me about $500 more than if I'd put the family on a plane and flown them over. It took longer to get there and back (which isn't a bad thing when visiting in laws) but when I take into account that I had my own transport in Perth, my bub had her own car seat, i was able to cart so much more shit to and from Perth than in a plane and the driving gave me time to prepare for the in laws paying and extra $500 seems well worth it.

In case anyone is interested, my 09 D40 STX King Cab diesel manual economy figures recently:

61km of flat highway. Set the cruise spot on 100km/h. Indicated revs approx 2200rpm. It got 14.4 L/100km.

I've got 265/75/16 BFG muddies on the standard rims. Everything else is standard. Tyre pressure 35psi. Steel tray, empty. Vehicle is still new, 4500km on the clock. Blows big clouds of black smoke when accelerating.

On a trip west recently, the Nav at 110-120km/h it chewed through about 30litres in less than 200km. Don't even talk to me about the fuel usage in 4h on dirt roads.

Pretty disappointing.

You have to give it a bit of a go, just 60 ks in highway mode isn't going to give you the best figures. As for dirt driving I don't think any of us are boasting 10's scrub bashing

In case anyone is interested, my 09 D40 STX King Cab diesel manual economy figures recently:

61km of flat highway. Set the cruise spot on 100km/h. Indicated revs approx 2200rpm. It got 14.4 L/100km.

I've got 265/75/16 BFG muddies on the standard rims. Everything else is standard. Tyre pressure 35psi. Steel tray, empty. Vehicle is still new, 4500km on the clock. Blows big clouds of black smoke when accelerating.

On a trip west recently, the Nav at 110-120km/h it chewed through about 30litres in less than 200km. Don't even talk to me about the fuel usage in 4h on dirt roads.

Pretty disappointing.

Yep it is - notwithstanding the relatively short distance. The black cloud is what would worry me. This is a sign of over-fuelling and points to something being pretty damn wrong in your fuel system somewhere.

Update from my last post -

Well I've been watching my fuel consumption very closely. Majority of my driving is highway at 100km/h on cruise. I fill the tank up to exactely the same level every time by filling until I can see the diesel in the filler neck.

As far as I can see there is no harm in a diesel vehicle doing this. (Dont do this on a petrol vehicle as there is usually a charcoal canister that gets filled with fuel from a breather line).

The best i've gotten is 13.9L/100km. Still blowing clouds of black smoke. I'll book it in for its 5000km service soon, currently sitting on 5800km. I'll let Nissan know about the issue and I'm hoping the issue is able to be fixed by a re-flash of the ecu.

If you are using cruise a lot you have to take into account the types of road it's on. Cruise isn't clever enough to see hills before they arrive and will quite often kick up fuel usage and revs as its going up hill, of course it drops both as it goes down hills but I know the Princes Highway between Melbourne and Bairnsdale produces quite different fuel figures in different parts of the highway because of the hills.

It's only a rough guide based on averages and not exactly real time but if I set cruise on about 97kph, on the flat scangauge tells me I'm using somewhere between 10 and 11.5 lph drop down a slight incline and the figures can drop back to 1 or 2 lph, go up hill and that figure may rise to 18 or 19 lph. At about 20-23 lph if I'm still going up hill the cruise will drop down a gear and bump the revs up to low 2000's but kick the fuel up to anything over 30 lph. All this is only for brief moments but over all it does effect averages and if your car is going up and down the rev range alot while on cruise you will notice higher fuel figures.

Having said that if my nav was blowing Black smoke and getting such figures at 5000K's I'd be taking it back to Nissan as well

last fill 347km from 67litres, =19.3l/100km been back to Nissan again today, got told by service dickhead thats standard for an Auto, I swear i will knock someone out in there soon!

last fill 347km from 67litres, =19.3l/100km been back to Nissan again today, got told by service dickhead thats standard for an Auto, I swear i will knock someone out in there soon!

lol, made me laugh. Try a different dealer, yours sounds like its full of halfwits.

Dave.

I reckon ask them then what the fuel consumption sticker says on the windscreen of the new ones.....

I reckon ask them then what the fuel consumption sticker says on the windscreen of the new ones.....

I dragged the service dickhead into the sales dept, grabbed the salesman I dealt with, pointed at the windscreen and asked them which one was the liar, back in next Friday, we'll see what happens.

My bet is that by next Friday they will just have another excuse for you. Despite the bad fuel usage it sounds like your biggest problem is the dealership, I think it's time to upgrade to a dealer that knows more about cars than how many wheels they have.

Hello all first Post, 736 km to fuel light, 09 d40 deisel man with around 5000k on the clock, not bad can only get better. Standard tank too.

i only get about 550km-600km till the light appears.. i wonder why they vary so much??? if there all made identical then there shouldn't be that much difference.

IMO

As spoken about previously, where people drive, how people drive, the loads they carry and just the fact that not two cars are exactly identical are all reasons why our economies are different.

Without putting yourself next to another so called identical car you'd never know how identical they are and you'd never know how the driving styles compare, even in the ideal situation there will be differences.

Fuel economy will change daily even when traveling the same stretch of road, hopefully it wont change by heaps under the same conditions but it will change so seeing such a range of figures here isn't that unexpected.

I got told by my local dealer after I complained that I was unable to get better than 13.5-14L/100km on the highway that it was normal for the 2.5td in these vehicles. Further that it was acceptible to have a 33% variation from the quoted official fuel figures. Further that the reason for all the black smoke was because my King Cab Manual did not have a DPF that the auto has.

Not real happy. I feel like selling it. Its not so much the cost of the fuel that is an issue, its the severely limited touring range.

Latest posts

Back