D40 Fuel Economy

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To help others better understand these fuel consumption figure people are posting could I suggest that everyone includes the Year of Manufacture, engine size, transmission (auto or manual) and configuration eg dual cab, king cab etc in their signature blocks. Thanks.

2013 D40 ST 4x4. Auto. Unloaded

Economy over first 700kms, 9.1L/100kms. Approx 2/3rds Freeway and 1/3rd around town.

Extremely happy. Power of the motor is a great surprise too. And this is coming out of an SS Ute.

07 navara Stx Man 700km per tank or better with only the egr mod same milage with chip installed and turned right down to eco 700 and over everytime and 660 plus with it turn right up to the power but a massive increase in power and torque. regardess of town or highway obviously better consumption when on the highway

Ok my 2012 ST manual dual cab gets around 8-8.5 around town & 9-9.5 open road at 100km/h.
Just wondering what effect people have noticed when going to 32 AT tyres.

Ok my 2012 ST manual dual cab gets around 8-8.5 around town & 9-9.5 open road at 100km/h.
Just wondering what effect people have noticed when going to 32 AT tyres.

you will loose a little it will go up by about 1-1.5 per hundred

economy

Just got back from a trip to Darwin my 25th anni averaged 8.8 litres per hundred. Had all the camping gear and stuff in the back for two of us. 80 litre tank, gauge told me 900 plus Ks. per tank. Pretty accurate too.Got 858 Ks. from it on one stretch still had just under a quarter tank left. It's auto and sat on cruise control for nearly all the trip. Around the burbs of Melb i get 9.4to9.8.:rock:

Last edited:
2012 st dual cab manual.
2 inch lift, 265/75r17 ATs, alloy bullbar, rhino slimline racks, uhf aeriel etc.
up to over 32,000km and in the last 8000km or so it's been consistently getting better on fuel
easily gets mid 8s on the highway now using cruise control with regular overtaking and when we're back in perth to visit family etc it's actually better, normally sits in the 7s around town.
very happy with it!
this is going off the scaguage 2 also, my trip is currently showing 8.7 as the average.

thats nice economy with the tyre size...what speed do you do on the highway?
Mine tends to blow out into the 9-10's if i go much over 100km/h

if i set the cruise to 113... it will creep up a bit, i've found wind to be a bigger factor in economy, because it's so open out here if it's blowing a bit it easily gets into the 11s, if it's still it will drop to mid, low 8s even at that speed.
i have seen as high as 19 towing a very heavy boat.
living remotely our driving is probably 80% highway and 20 suburban.

drove to karratha and back today, on the way there into a head wind the scanguage was showing 10.6 all the way.
exact same trip and cruise control speed and was down to 7.8, makes such a big difference!
my roof racks aren't in place at the moment though but they don't make a huge difference anyway.

Well my second D40 (450 auto) is now 1 year old (on Sunday) and has 63130km on it.
With half a tank of diesel and myself it weighs in at 2960kg and is returning constant mid 9's open road and low 10's around town. I don't take it to easy and normally cruise around the 110-115km mark.

Best I've had out of it on two occasions so far is 9.17L/100km.

Last edited:
Air and rolling resistance is the enemy. Weight has little effect once on the roll. For every doubling in speed the power required is X4. There is no escaping physics.

For me, my highway consumption is worse than around town. Having said that, where I live most of my running is at a steady 80kph. with odd traffic light.

There is a an old saying that says for every 1 square foot of frontal area you need 10 square feet or aerodynamics to negate it. What we drive are trucks and have the "aero" of a block of flats. Don't expect anything wonderful.

i recently did a 200km return trip on a dirt access road up here, drove in h4 at between 60-80kph
economy ranged between 5.6 and 6.2L/100 and there was about 5km of low range driving halfway through (i was looking for and found a water hole)
very happy!

i recently did a 200km return trip on a dirt access road up here, drove in h4 at between 60-80kph
economy ranged between 5.6 and 6.2L/100 and there was about 5km of low range driving halfway through (i was looking for and found a water hole)
very happy!
are you driving on 2 cylinders! forgive me but that seems so out there, if what you are getting is correct then maybe mine needs to get looked at. the best mine will do is 11-12l/100

I'm unsubbing from this thread. Best I can get ever is high 11's, normally low 12's.

That's worked out by filling up until I see fuel in the filler neck and waiting for it to remain there, not sink back down. Counting the km's, then refilling the same way a second time and working out km's travelled prior to 2nd refill versus how much went back in at 2nd refill.

That way I always get 11-12. The Torque app says I get low 7's to mid 8's.

economy ranged between 5.6 and 6.2L/100

It's something to do with WA, everything else goes there to die but Navara's go their to live. Twice I've had the Nav there I've had better economy than at home. I was able to get low 8's and into the 7's traveling between the city and Rockingham where are the best I can sustain over a full tank in regional Vic is low 9's

I'm unsubbing from this thread. Best I can get ever is high 11's, normally low 12's.

That's worked out by filling up until I see fuel in the filler neck and waiting for it to remain there, not sink back down. Counting the km's, then refilling the same way a second time and working out km's travelled prior to 2nd refill versus how much went back in at 2nd refill.

That way I always get 11-12. The Torque app says I get low 7's to mid 8's.

yep thats the way i do it and depending on whats on my roof (6m planks, ladders ect) and if im hwy or local i will range from high 10's to mid 14's.
the only time i have achieved 9's over an entire tank, was driving it so steady and not going over 100kph at all and trying to stay below it as much as possible, I just found it so hard to drive like that so it only lasted one tank then it was back to 120kph on the freeway (going off the sat nav not the speedo)

i have also found that with the bigger tyres my ODOMETER is out by 8% so i normally add that into my equation at the pump.

I think when soem say the drive at 110 on the freeway and still have stock tyres they dont take into account that they are actually doing closer to 100kph

It's something to do with WA, everything else goes there to die but Navara's go their to live. Twice I've had the Nav there I've had better economy than at home. I was able to get low 8's and into the 7's traveling between the city and Rockingham where are the best I can sustain over a full tank in regional Vic is low 9's

yeah but letting it idle in the hotel carpark for the week and having your wife push it for 100km, doesnt count :ha:

Latest posts

Back