D40 brake upgrade

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Engineer did similar on his Navara using AP Racing calipers. Said it was a huge improvement . He will be going 4 pot calipers on the rear and 6 pot on the front next.He did say that the front 4 pot calipers alone were over 1k to buy. So a complete kit like the Brembo one would be way more than that.
He also found some larger dia rotors as well but not sure what they were from but he didnt have to have them drilled so something with same stud pattern

There is nothing like a big brake upgrade to show you just how lacking standard brakes are..

Good F/R Break upgrades (6pot/4pot) usually run to about 4-6k... It's just justifying the cost.. I did them on my high performance car because 450HP takes a bit to pull up..

Maybe a Pad and Rotor upgrade would give the Navara more bite.. But if you have the $$ nothing is like a nice AP Racing brake kit

I have already done the rotor/pad/flexible lines upgrades and even though better than stock still could be better
I have Hawke Racing ceramic pads with DBA drilled and slotted rotors and SafeBrake brake lines.It stops better now but only when you stand on the pedal it will bring the ABS into life .
Just ordered new pads actually a different compound from Hawke Racing , ordered from Compfriction

I don't know if they do it, but have you tried QFM Brake Pads.. They are locally made from GSL Rallysport in Queensland.. They make some great, bitey, pads at a *very* reasonable price..

Drilled rotors always have a tendency to crack around the drill holes, so just be weary of that.. Try not to get them hot, and then stop and have the pads on one location - that's when those cracks start happening..

Did you find much difference with the braided lines?

I got given the rotors from DBA as a test so 80k later on they are still doing well
The pedal is still soft to start with but as you go deeper into the travel it feels a lot stronger and does stop better

I have the DBA slotted rotors, QFM brake pads and braided lines at the front and rear on an 2007 D40.

The brakes are okay now, can generally engage ABS in the dry on tar roads. The pedal is firmer than OEM, but nothing to write home about.

Fresh fluid is important. Keep that changed to keep the pedal feeling okay.

Would love to put in a proper hardware upgrade. i'm just not sure if the callipers or the master cylinder is the weak point.

I had DBA slotted/drilled and Hawks on my old race car, loved them. I was looking into doing a similar upgrade on the Navara but I needed a bit of heat in them to be effective. What's the go with getting mud in the drilled sections of the rotor when offroading?

never had a problem with mud in the slots. clamping force will remove that.
yes, its a step change of improvement vs std brakes.

Still trying to get some info on that but its a bit hard just on the net....lol
The pad needs to be 38 or 38.3mm of height to fit the navara disc! Find the pad and then you can see what calipers fits and try and adapt...
Other option is to try and see if a car with similar lug nut pattern, like an older dodge viper or durango and see if the disks fit over the hubbs and adapt calipers....
Just for info also the caliper on navara is lug mount 90mm or 5.5" which is not so common!

sorry just noticed a mistake lug on navara is 140mm and 5.5" the toyota calipers on a LN166 are 90mm!
cheers

Latest posts

Back