D22 slow, please help!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xvanity

Reaction score
Greetings everyone,

I tried my luck on another forum and I was advised to give it a shot here.

This year, in January, i bought my first ever 4x4, a Nissan D22 made in 2002, engine QD32 naturally aspirated.

The car looks great and it has been very well maintained, but it does have 180.000 km on board so far. My problem with it is that it seems to be kind of slow. I know the engine has got only 75kW, but it won't go over 100km/h without a bit of a strain. I managed once or twice to reach 120, mut it was revving a lot (I dont know how much because the tachometer doesnt work-a different issue).

Anyways, i've been reading about the banjo filter and the issues it can cause. Does my car has one? If yes, where is it located? I have read also about the neutral position sensor, and I tried leaning on the gear lever to the left, but I didnt feel anything, no performace boost at all. One way to test the NPS is to use the RPM meter, but mine doesnt work.

What do you guys advice?

Thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

thats a qd32 for you lol

only thing to do really is add a tubo kit, will almost double its power.

Im no expert and Im sure someone else will add more info for you but I dont think the QD32 has a NPS. As for the banjo filter - I have no idea! Good luck with it.

welcome mate
100ks with 75 factory kw is a fair outcome
with 180ks on the clock those original kw's will be lower
have you tried simple fixes like injector clean,better airflow,better exhaust

sent from my computer using a keyboard

Last edited:
As they said turbo is the way if you are going to keep it my td27 58kw got to almost 600k and would sit on 120 no probs sounds like you have a injector issue or in need of a valve grind.

The qd32 is. Super reliable motor. Just the factory kw and being Na means its needs a little time to build up momentum. Get the injectors cleaned then depending on budget I would turbo, intercooler, exhaust and get it dyno tuned.

Rusty

The banjo filter is under the line into the injector pump.

The fuel filter material gets caught in the banjo filter over time.

You'll have to fish it out with a small piece of wire. Put it back in once cleaned.

Its there to stop the pump getting damaged.

Welcome to the forum.

Like the others said, turbocharging it will provide the biggest power boost, but if you DO turbocharge it, an intercooler is highly recommended - not so much for performance's sake, but to catch bits of turbocharger if THAT ever lets go!

There are some things you can do to try and improve power output without spending a lot of coin. Clean the intake manifold and block the EGR (if it has any), fit a catch can as well.

After that I'd go turbo+intercooler - you'll have to change or at least modify the exhaust to a custom one because the turbocharger will change the direction of the exhaust outlet, you'll need to fit a dump pipe.

Thank you guys for your time in responding to my issue. Truth be told, I haven't really tried anything, no injector clean or anything like that. I work as a volunteer in one of the poorest countries in the world, Malawi - Africa, and I am asking for trouble if I go to any local garages to do that type of work on my car. Can I clean the injectors myself, or is it something I should live it in the hands of the professionals, if I find any? Due to the nature of my work, I don't have a big amount of cash to spare, so I don't think I will be able to fit turbo or intercooler on it. I do my best and service it regularly, to keep it in top shape, and I pretty much have to become my own mechanic, if you know what I mean.

Anyways, I will wait for your response as far as cleaning the injectors and I will try to locate and clean/check the banjo filter. Any other ideas?

The banjo filter is on the line in to the pump.

Those motors are designed for old grade diesel, sure the injector crack pressure would be down slightly, injector pump timing wouldn't hurt to be corrected but the banjo filter would be the most likely reason for the lack of power.

Those QD32's are reasonably torquey, they shit all over the ZD30 down low.

Change the fuel filter too, bash out the air filter as well.

The banjo filter is probably full of fuel filter material. Seen it several times before.

These days I couldn't be @#$%ed working on cars though. I'd rather someone else did it.

Thank you Dave and everyone else for all your inputs. I will start with the banjo filter as I also think it could be pretty clogged up because of the crappy aftermarket fuel filters that can be found here.

Dave, I wished I found a trust worthy guy to work on my car, but I just can't, so I am forced to do everything by myself.

Welcome to the forum.

Like the others said, turbocharging it will provide the biggest power boost, but if you DO turbocharge it, an intercooler is highly recommended - not so much for performance's sake, but to catch bits of turbocharger if THAT ever lets go!

There are some things you can do to try and improve power output without spending a lot of coin. Clean the intake manifold and block the EGR (if it has any), fit a catch can as well.

After that I'd go turbo+intercooler - you'll have to change or at least modify the exhaust to a custom one because the turbocharger will change the direction of the exhaust outlet, you'll need to fit a dump pipe.

Old.Tony, about that catch can... Is that to catch the oil that I can find in the air pipe, very close to the engine?!?How will that improve performance? :sorry3: I am learning

for injector clean, we use an additive that we buy from our local petrol station
add it to a full tank of fuel
the other option is to have a mechanic remove injectors and have tham cleaned
can you get injector cleaner where you purchase your diesel?
goodluck
what sort of volunteer work do you do?

for injector clean, we use an additive that we buy from our local petrol station
add it to a full tank of fuel
the other option is to have a mechanic remove injectors and have tham cleaned
can you get injector cleaner where you purchase your diesel?
goodluck
what sort of volunteer work do you do?

I have only seen petrol (gasoline) additive, but I will look harder, I am sure I will find it at one of the filling stations.

My work is with poor children, and I have opened an orphanage where kids get 2 meals a day: breakfast and lunch.

I have only seen petrol (gasoline) additive, but I will look harder, I am sure I will find it at one of the filling stations.

My work is with poor children, and I have opened an orphanage where kids get 2 meals a day: breakfast and lunch.

i would happily send you a bottle of injector clean
but unfortunatly i dont think you can post it
keep up the good work
the world needs more people like you

i would happily send you a bottle of injector clean
but unfortunatly i dont think you can post it
keep up the good work
the world needs more people like you

Yeah, I don't think that can be posted, but I appreciate it anyways. I should be able to find it here. Thanks!

The catch can will reduce the oil getting into the intake. Combined with soot from the EGR, it forms large black clumps of gunk that block up the intake manifold, restricting airflow.

Cleaning the intake manifold in your situation might not be easy. If your emission control laws are pretty lax, just redirect the PCV from the top of the motor to under the car somewhere and block the hole in the air intake that it used to be connected to. Should improve performance a little as well.

The catch can will reduce the oil getting into the intake. Combined with soot from the EGR, it forms large black clumps of gunk that block up the intake manifold, restricting airflow.

Cleaning the intake manifold in your situation might not be easy. If your emission control laws are pretty lax, just redirect the PCV from the top of the motor to under the car somewhere and block the hole in the air intake that it used to be connected to. Should improve performance a little as well.

Is that the PCV pipe I need to redirect under the car?
gzb1.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back