D22 Limp Home Mode / No Boost

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MAT713

Reaction score
hey guys,

was mucking around the other day on the wet roads, used a roundabout and a free way on ramp to slide my D22.

the car did what I had planned, when I rolled out of the throttle, all seemed normal. About 200m later on the highway I had noticed what felt like no turbo boost pressure actually making its way into the motor / limp home mode.

pulled over, shut it down, started it up again, A OK.

has this happened to anyone else before?

does the D22 have an overboost function that triggers the limp home mode?

does any aftermarket ecu's fix this?

did engine light come on? if so pull the codes, if not its probably not limp home mode.

yeah its happened to me but i shifted down a gear at to high revs up at hill and the boost stopped, no matter what gear i was in i had to shift down till i was in first coz i had no power, i pulled over checked the engine and then shut it off and turned it back on, no engine light came on or anything.... couldnt work it out.. i thought it was limp mode

Just had my work ute sent to the mechanics for the same reason. Turns out it is the Air flow meter. will update if it is the true cause.

Huh.. I had this happen to me about week ago, i was going up a slight incline and was messing around in the cab (looking for work papers), anyway in 2nd gear revs got to about 3200-3500, put it into 3rd and my boost gauge dropped to 0 and the power went.. The car didnt slow down it just didnt want to go faster. So i eased off the pedal, dropped the revs and power came back. Hasnt dont it since and its been serviced about the same time to.

weird... wonder if its possible it sucked up some water in the tank when you were sliding around the roundabout?

The ecu may govern the revs. Nissan do it on the zed so I wouldn't be surprised.

Figured it out.

Nissan often uses the air flow meter sensor to double as a "boost pressure sensor"

When I had my first drift car. It had a stock SR20 and set to 15psi. In second gear boost creep could climb to 16-17 psi. However in 3rd gear with say 13-14 psi and a larger amount of air being pulled through the air flow meter it would trip up what ever Nissan had programmed to be deemed "boost spike"

Going to start looking into the air intake system if it "sucks" it self close or at least restricts the inside diameter. May need a solid pipe which I knows fix this problem in other models.

Hopefully the aftermarket ecu's bump this setting up a lil higher

I've had the exact same thing happen to me a number of times....

It seems to be whenever I was being a douche and either chirping second or playing on the wet roads.... its like there is no boost at all - no engine lights either.

if anyone had a scan tool hooked up to it monitoring fuel pressure when this happens, i think you would find there is a too high fuel pressure reading at the rail, so the ecu cuts fuel off to idle pressure so as not to damage anything. turning the motor off and restarting will reboot the ecu so it goes back to normal until next time. reducing fuel in a diesel reduces power and boost so that's why you have a massive power cut....

have the crank angle sensor checked out. I had a problem with my D22 losing power with no fault code shown until it eventually shit it self and through a fault code then we found water getting in through a plug and working its way down to the crank sensor and shorting it out have had no problems since. I must say a big thank you to Nissan Australia covering this under warranty. and paying for my accommodation and hire car while we got it sorted out. Cheers

check out the crank angle sensor had this problem with my D22 losing power with no fault code shown until it eventually shit it self and through a fault code Nissan found water getting in through a plug and shorting out the sensor, Replaced sensor and plug, water proofed plug have had no problems since.

Latest posts

Back