Cracked block on d40

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First time I've heard of it.

If you can't use some magic product or weld it, it's an expensive rebuild. If you could do the rebuild yourself you might be able to nab the block through Nizzbits and drive down to get it (he's not that far from you, compared to a lot of us).

Yeah. Not too deep. The crack is near the returnfrom the turbo at the bottom of the block. I was driving for 4 hours then went through a creek crossing. I think it may of just been a shit made block cause that shouldn't happen.

I don't think there's a difference between driving for 30 minutes and driving for 4 hours - in both cases you're at operating temperature.

Personally before entering a water crossing I'll either have driven very gently to let the engine/turbo/brakes cool as much as possible before the water hits, or I'll wait with the engine idling so that things are able to cool for a couple of minutes.

That said, even a hard run into some water should only impact on the turbocharger housing and the disc rotors.

I'd call warranty on this one.

This would only be an issue if prior to the water the motor was over heating. As said contact warranty mate

This would only be an issue if prior to the water the motor was over heating. As said contact warranty mate

i would pic flaw in block when it was poured.
or if the crack is next to bolt holes possibly junk in threads and over tightened bolts. i have heard of loose engine bolts, some way over spec and others completely stripped.

if the crack is not a critical part, just weld it up.

Hopefully you can claim it under warranty if your's hasn't run out yet.

If not I'd do a whole engine swap, much easier than rebuilding an engine, and save a fair chunk of time, plus it's probably cheaper too :)

Try Metalock

I have had a crack in a side valve cast iron block done by Metalock. Not at all expensive and quick but you need to strip the engine down. These guys do amazing things with cracked truck diesels. I saw one block in the workshop that a hole about 200 x 180 had been torn out of and they fixed that back up.

Turned out to be not a crack in the block but a crack in the top part of the sump. All fixed. Cost bout $3000 because the parts were so hard to find and lots of labour. Front diff had to be dropped. Cheers for everyone's help.

Latest posts

Back