clutch slipping from deep water. Please help!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattberry1611

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Went in a big puddle today and after I came out the clutch wasn't grabbing at all.
Any idea what damage I've done? I'm thinking I've got water in there or something, hoping I haven't stuffed it. Any way to drain the clutch or something?
Thanks for the help

I didn't think the clutch housing was sealed - I thought it had a drain hole at the bottom in case oil got in there (rear main seal leak, as an example). It ought to have drained all by itself.

If you have a D40 from 2007 to late 2011 you might have a dual mass flywheel and it's now suddenly (perhaps coincidentally, perhaps as a result of the dunking) let go.

With any model, you might have re-tempered the springs in the pressure plate. If the thing was hot (lots of clutch-riding) it's entirely possible that dunking the pressure plate in cold water has changed the spring-rate of the pressure plate causing it to release the clutch (it's a long stretch but it's possible).

Might be time to get it checked by a clutch expert.

Latest posts

Back