Clock springs

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just got the steering rod replaced that runs from the column to the rack. As I was driving home I notice the air bag warning light was on. So I didn't think to much of it and thought I'll look it up on here to see how to reset it. I found a thread on it and read if the horns not working and the cruise control, then it's the clock spring. So I check and they aren't working. Now what I want to know is, could the mechanics that did the steering rod cause it to stuff up? like I said it was all working fine before I got the arm replaced. Or is it just a coincidence that it just stuffed up at the same time? Also how hard is it to change?

They might have forgotten to plug it all back in too. Definitely be worth taking back to them and asking them, the mechanic that did the work should remember that he'd pulled a plug and just forgot to plug it back in.

The other thing that could have happened is that if they rotated the shaft too far it could have busted the cable( spring) .Normally the only thing that stops it rotating too far is the steering itself as in steering stops etc .
hopefully they just forgot to plug it back in

I was there when they were working on it and I don't think they unplugged anything from the column. The shaft they replace is in the engine bay. This is the shaft.

So I'm thinking they might of let it spin to far and it's broken the spring.
Thanks for the reply fellas.

Sounds like it... If they didn't use anything to lock the steering wheel in position (like the steering lock on the column) then there's a very good chance they have fooked it.... I'd be hitting them up to replace it at no charge...

Rung the mechanics this morning and told them what was wrong. They have never really heard of clock springs (neither did I truth be known). So I told them that if you turn the steering wheel to far past where full lock is normally located, with the column not connected, then it breaks that spring. Then I said just google it and it'll explain it there, so they said they'll ring back. Then I got a call just after lunch saying that they have ordered the part from nissan and they'll fix it for nothing next Wednesday. I'm glad they didn't stuff me around as they are only a small business and they are cheap, so any money lost would be felt. Looks like they'll still be getting my business.:wink:

The clock spring was done today, I watch the mechanic do it and it doesn't look that hard to do yourself. I don't know how nissan gets away with some of their pricing. They only paid $240 odd for a genuine nissan clock spring and only took around an hour to fit. So really shouldn't cost more then $400 for a shop to do it.

Everything is click and plug these days but the parts are all from overseas somewhere and i fear thats whats driving the prices up, that and Neesan will be gouging us just like every other manufacturer

Back