Can you have two intercoolers?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobbykemp39

Reaction score
Been looking at aftermarket top mount intercoolers for my 2.5ltr, can you replace the radiator with a front mount intercooler as well? Just purchased my new d22 a month ago so pretty new to this stuff and to be honest have almost no knowledge how it all works, if any could help me out that would be great.

umm no
the radiators there for a reason
welcome to the forum
the search button is your friend
enjoy

You most definantly need your radiator, otherwise you might have some severe coolant loss bud.

You dont need to replace the radiator to have a front mount cooler. D40 Navaras run front mount coolers from factory. You don't need two coolers. Just do a conversion from top mount to front mount :)

Last edited:
If you dont have much knowledge with this sort of stuff id say start off with alot more basic stuff. A catch can would be a good start( check search function, heaps of info)
. Getting a better aftermarket exhaust or a drawer systems for more storage etc are all fairly basic mods.
Dont forget to ask here before you do too much, heaps of seasoned navara owners here with bucket loads of knowledge.

Also, if its under new car warranty you may have issues if you do any mods.

Basically, anything you replace with aftermarket gear, you void the warranty on. Eg: you modify the engine, there's your engine warranty gone. You replace the diff gears, goodbye diff warranty etc.

Or if you modify the diff, it voids the whole drivetrain warranty? Not 100%. But start small. If you are willing to void all warranty, open that engine up with a turbo back exhaust, do it a favour with an EGR blank, a catch can etc. Lift, tyres etc and so forth.

Just remember, use the search function, and this forum is PACKED with info on almost everything mate.

Most modden 4wd run front mounts. You top mount would leace less travel time. Just look for an upgrade top mount kit

Welcome to the forum.

Absolutely, yes you can have two intercoolers. You can have 3, or even 6, but there's no point going past one - as soon as you do, you add more restriction than the cooling you're getting, most particularly because the hotter the air is, the more it will cool down - and the air coming OUT of the first intercooler should be warm, but not hot (relative to engine temps).

Your radiator is used to cool the coolant down, that coolant runs through your engine to keep the engine at a temperature where everything isn't going to melt.

There is plenty of info to be found here, sometimes you won't ask the search engine the right way, and other times you'll end up with pages of results that just seem daunting to have to go through.

That's fine too - we're not going to tie you to a stake if you ask something that's been asked before. It always is good to search for stuff, because you not only might find what you're looking for, but you might find other stuff you were interested in but forgot to ask about. But in the end, asking is fine, there are quite a few good people on this forum who'll be happy to help you out.

Exactly. There are no stupid questions, just stupid answers. Everyone starts somewhere. Better to ask and feel silly than to BE silly and not ask. That's what forums are for mate!

Would be cool looking to have 2 bonnet scoops though if you could have 2 top mount intercoolers, funny, I dont even have one, bloody 3ltr!

Yep there is no stupid questions just enlightenment:) As Tony mentioned you could have half a dozen of them and just maybe with the passing of charge air thru each one, the charge air would be closer to ambient. However the greater the the temperature drop the greater the pressure drop across the inter coolers. Add to that the greater the turbo lag as it has to fill the cubic capacity of those coolers before it arrives at the engine.

If your keen on doing a mod or two the EGR block and catch can would be a good start. Perhaps after that a larger less restrictive exhaust not so much for more power but for less engine stress (lower exhaust gas temps) and longevity.

Don't bugatti veyrons run twin intercoolers, (yes I know the navara is a little bit differently built). I cant remember if the Mitsubishi gto runs 2 aswell. Anyway, shows its not that strange of an idea!

Don't bugatti veyrons run twin intercoolers, (yes I know the navara is a little bit differently built). I cant remember if the Mitsubishi gto runs 2 aswell. Anyway, shows its not that strange of an idea!

But isnt the Begatti two engines bolted together and runs 4 turbos.

There we go run 2 turbos and a cooler for each.

You said it! 2 turbos and 2 intercoolers , haha, just watch the navara pistons shoot to space!

Thanks for the feed back guys I'll use this website to find out more information about what I can do to my car. Also a big thank you to Zed for his input, I wish I was as mechanically minded and as cool as you mate.
Cheers

Been looking at aftermarket top mount intercoolers for my 2.5ltr, can you replace the radiator with a front mount intercooler as well? Just purchased my new d22 a month ago so pretty new to this stuff and to be honest have almost no knowledge how it all works, if any could help me out that would be great.

My advice is to just leave your intercooler the way it is if there is nothing wrong with it. Aftermarket topmounts are expensive and the real world performance increase ( ie actually making your car go faster ) will be about 3/16 of f/all.

Thanks for the feed back guys I'll use this website to find out more information about what I can do to my car. Also a big thank you to Zed for his input, I wish I was as mechanically minded and as cool as you mate. Cheers

Any questions you need to ask if you cant find them with a search, just ask! Like we have all said, you gotta start somewhere.

You came to the right place mate! There's alot of good blokes on here and a mine of information. I have saved at least two grand in labour with the info on here.

Last edited:
Back