Butterfly mod

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D22FELLA

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have put a EGR blocking plate in my 06 D22 3.0 and I am happy with that.

I'm thinking of doing the butterfly swirl mod thingy too, what are the benefits of doing this?

Cheers

I think its better response around idle to 1200rpm or something, tweake posted info on it in the EGR/butterfly mod thread.

just to be clear, the butterfly mod and swirl butterfly mod are two different things.

butterfly mod disables the egr butterfly. which is one of the duties the big butterfly does.
needs to be done when you block the egr off.

the swirl butterfly is the smaller butterfly on one half of the intake. disabling that (unplug it!) lets more air flow in the lower rpm's.

Ok tweak now I'm confused at what iv done. I put a plate at the top where the manifold is and I disconnect some pipes on top according to ur thread with the photos so what have I done.

butterfly mod disables the egr butterfly. which is one of the duties the big butterfly does.
needs to be done when you block the egr off.

the swirl butterfly is the smaller butterfly on one half of the intake. disabling that (unplug it!) lets more air flow in the lower rpm's.

I don't remember unpluging anything as well. All I did was rearrange the small vacuum hoses as per the diagram.... Have I missed doing something too ?

Ok tweak now I'm confused at what iv done. I put a plate at the top where the manifold is and I disconnect some pipes on top according to ur thread with the photos so what have I done.

I don't remember unpluging anything as well. All I did was rearrange the small vacuum hoses as per the diagram.... Have I missed doing something too ?

sounds like you have blocked egr and done buterfly mod (egr butterfly).

swirl valve is a separate thing which is why theres not much of a write up on it. easy enough to do, unplug the solenoid (brown one i think).
that just stops the swirl valve from closing and blocking off 1/2 the air flow in the low rpm's.

swirl valve is a separate thing which is why theres not much of a write up on it. easy enough to do, unplug the solenoid (brown one i think).
that just stops the swirl valve from closing and blocking off 1/2 the air flow in the low rpm's.

OK then.... its just a matter of disconnecting the Brown Plug on top..... will I notice any difference and is there a need to do it (ie low down torque, economy, etc) ?

ok, do you have a pic like the other mod because im confused right about now.

This picture from the swirl control thread should help

solenoiddiagram.jpg

ZD30valves.jpg

AFAIK you just unplug the brown plug and you are done.

I have recently done the “swirl mod” and egr block now I’m having issues. For the first 20 minutes it drives fine then it gets up to temp and then the revs jump up then the rev tachometer doesn’t work ( doesn’t make sence I know iv been going insane ) and also the heat switch doesn’t work as well but if you let it sit and and come back to it happy days until you drive it for 20 minutes
Thinking that it’s got a vacuum leak but I highly doubt it because before I decided to do this everything was fine

unplug the gearbox neutral position sensor. they tend to go faulty and loose engine power (if unplugged the heat switch won't work).

how is the tach not working? drops to zero or stick in one place?
that sounds like electrical fault which should have nothing to do with egr block or swirl mod etc. but check you didn't break the earths on the inlet manifold or that they are corroded. that might also effect the tach as the crank sensor is plugged in next to that. see pic above, the earths in left bottom corner and crank sensor plugs in the foreground.

Back