Broken Engine Mount

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sam brooker

Reaction score
Just found a broken right hand side engine mount on my 07 D40. Sheared the stud right off. Anyone replaced one before? It is in a tight spot but looks easy enough if I can jack the engine up enough to facilitate the removal and installation of new mount. Any suggestions if it is doable or not?

Welcome to the forum, Sam!

Bugger, I'll have to have a look at mine - it's not something that I've even thought to check. I also haven't heard of it happening many times before - maybe we should all go take a look!

What made you think of checking it?

Every time I accelerated I could hear this clunk noise coming from somewhere in the drive train. I had just installed new suspension kit so spent the first couple of days re-checking all the suspension components and thinking I had stuffed it up somehow. Had to take the car in for wheel alignment post suspension install and asked the boys to double check everything whist they had it on the hoist and they found the broken mount. 200 bucks for the mount from Nissan so am looking at fitting it myself as they can't book me in to do it for me until mid next week. Just not sure how far I can jack the engine up of the mount without doing any damage and wanted to know of I should undo the left mount before I try and jack the engine up or just jack one side up. Will give it a bash tomorrow and see what happens.

May I ask how you broke the engine mount or is another recall for the D40's. Haha.

Kidding, doesn't sound like a fun job.

Hey Dave. Have no idea how I broke it. I had a close call towing the ski boat down the mountain range the other day and ended up dumping the clutch for a heap of engine braking amongst a whole heap of swearing, white knuckles and brake pedal pumping, so not sure if that had something to do with it. The boys down at Lockyer 4X4 said that they have never seen a broken right hand side mount before. Have seen plenty of left hand side mounts go as the left is the one that is always "lifting" with the torque.

Do-able - Yes
Time taken - 40 min

Tip 1- Use the heap of s*#t scissor jack that comes with the Nav, under the sump with a block of wood and use a cordless drill to drive it up and down as you manouver the new mount into place. Easy.
Tip 2 - Join a couple of 1/2" drive socket extensions together and attack the hold down bolts from the top of the engine bay. Heaps easier
Tip 3 - Disconnect the positive lead from the battery before trying to manouver anything metal past the starter motor!!!!!! (need new undies)

Nissan quoted a minimum of 1.5 hours labour to do the job so pretty happy I had a go

Hey Dave. Have no idea how I broke it. I had a close call towing the ski boat down the mountain range the other day and ended up dumping the clutch for a heap of engine braking amongst a whole heap of swearing, white knuckles and brake pedal pumping, so not sure if that had something to do with it. The boys down at Lockyer 4X4 said that they have never seen a broken right hand side mount before. Have seen plenty of left hand side mounts go as the left is the one that is always "lifting" with the torque.

Sounds like that may have done it, the engine would be twisting the other way under engine braking so it is definitely possible. Glad to hear it was an easy replacement, and yes I have done the spanner to the sump and positive feed on the alternator before on another car, lol. It had an alarm too which nearly sent me deaf laying under it because it blew the main fuse from the battery which triggered the backup battery for the siren....

Latest posts

Back