boost controller setting

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joffo81

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have just bought an NXS manual boost controller and am not sure what to set it too.

I tried the search engine and didnt find any conclusive answers.

What do others recommend who have the same engine and have actually done it?

I have the ZD30 engine with chip and 3 inch exhaust and small intercooler.

I would obviously like to set the boost slightly higher than standard but not to an unsafe level.

How will I tell if there is too much boost before I cause any engine damage? Is it enough to just monitor my EGT gauge to avoid excessive heat(which I do anyway)?

its not about what the engine can handle but rather what the turbo can handle.
i'm not sure what the limit is but 18psi sounds good.

Thanks Tweake. I only have a stock turbo. I was thinking 18PSI but wanted to see what others have done with a similar setup.

I think in theory, if I increase boost I should be able to make better use of the extra fuel injected by my chip hopefully without increasing EGTs. Does this sound right?

By running more boost it should lean out your fuel mix and effectively reduce EGTs if you are using a higher boost than what it's currently set at.

A mbc should always be used with a boost gauge.......if you value your turbo
As others have suggested 4 or 5 psi is a safe gain and should help your chip perform

Thanks for all your comments fellas. I feel much better about installing it now. Can't wait for it to turn up in the post! I agree Sparra- I definitely wouldn't install without having a boost gauge already!

Got to agree with this, mine was set to 19 2 years ago when it was dyno tuned then recently started hitting 21psi for no reason. Had to back it off.

Fitting a manual boost controller will do nothing as far as i know as the ecu will override the settings?

I have mine chipped and have asked the same question numerous times and have tried it, i have had it wound out to 25psi and noticed no gain whatsoever, from what iv'e been told your chip needs to be re-tuned be fore you'll see any gains of the extra boost.

Last edited:
Fitting a manual boost controller will do nothing as far as i know as the ecu will override the settings?

I have mine chipped and have asked the same question numerous times and have tried it, i have had it wound out to 25psi and noticed no gain whatsoever, from what iv'e been told your chip needs to be re-tuned be fore you'll see any gains of the extra boost.

REALLY?? You're the 1st person i've heard that from!

Anyone else confirm or deny??

Last edited:
the ecu doesn't over ride boost in the D22,it does in the 40.
An mbc will increase boost in the D22, there is a small gain, well there was in mine (19psi) and I had no chip,worth doing in the D22 imo

as above. it will work in the d22.
for decent gain in power you need to add fuel.
however the mbc will help get the turbo going a little bit sooner.

Did you notice that change via dyno Happy John and your gauge didn't pick up on it ?
Just saw this sorry for the belated reply. The hose around the boost controller had loosened and was not working correctly. The tuner picked up on this when I had a service and gave it a quick run on the dyno no charge.
John

bummer
there must be a way around that

fuel cut defender i think its called. mec version simply bleeds boost off on the boost sensor line. electronic one clamps the voltage from the map sensor. basically the max the ecu sees is 15psi.

Back