Auto or manual

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willie

Reaction score
Just signed up for a new STD40 Auto and afer reading Forum reports, should I change to a manual for better fuel economy? Any suggestions will be well received

:welcome: to the forum mate.

Do a search as there is a thread/poll on this very subject that may help your decision.

:cheers!:
Jim.

I think the manual gearbox and clutch is rubbish, the lack of torque is so frustrating, I wish I'd bought the Auto, regardless of economy.
You've made the right choice IMO.

i got auto its only uses bout 2 more litres per hundred but is really good for towing power all the time no stuffing round changing gears lol since im not a teen anymore i dont care what car i got and the dpf well im just bout to get rid of it so see how that goes only $275 for a delete pipe

I should add that from comments on here the new D40 series 4 has a lot less turbo lag. But I'm still skeptical of the reliably of a dual mass flywheel.

:welcome:to the forum mate.I have converted my D22 to auto and find it a lot easier off road especially when you are stuck half way up a hill.
I suppose it all depends on what you prefer.Good luck with the new purchase.

G'day, I've got the ST auto and luv it! Yeah it's probably a bit heavier on juice than the manual but all auto's are IMO, alot depends on your driving style.

As already mentioned there may be some problems with the clutch and low down grunt with the manual, particularily when towing it was part of the reason why I went the auto, the other is that i just prefer auto's.

I've towed 3t worth of gear and trailer (probably a little more than this at times) plus about 600kg in the tub and while it's no lambo out of the blocks it sits on the road and cruises just fine at 100km, not in O.D. tho as i find the vehicle tends to go up and down the gears too much.

Fuel consumption when this loaded up is very high, but then that should be expected!

The very limited amount of geniune high country four wheel driving I've done on bush tracks has really openned my mind to the benefits/ potential advantages of an auto in this situation. Yeah, the first gear/low range ratio needs to be a little lower/slower for desending steep tracks (would be good to look at the new 7-speeds ratios??) but for ascending and general stuff it's just so easy and smooth. Yeah, if your a hardcore 4 wheel drive enthusiast and want to rock hop and crawl a manual would be better, but I'm guessing you didn't buy a D40 with this in mind.

Each to their own i guess but for mine having an auto is like having power steering, once you have it, it's bloody hard to go back!

Welcome to the forum!

I don't think we're getting bad economy in our auto. We just did a trip with some of the local guys and returned 10.46LPHK for the entire journey, a small percentage was city driving, most of it was highway, and we are loaded up somewhere just over the 2.5T mark (if I had to take a good guess, I'd say around 2.6T). My car weighed 2500Kg coming empty out of the local tip, and it's now got our Engel 60L chest fridge, the deep cycle battery, Honda EU20si genny, tools, stoves, picnic gear, folding chairs etc in it.

If you are going to tow, I wouldn't attempt convincing you to get the manual. Riding the clutch to get moving is a killer that (like all failures) strikes when it's most inconvenient. You don't get that with the auto - but I would caution you to be less enthusiastic with powering off from a stop, or climbing hills, on a very hot day. The auto has an oil cooler but it still has its limits.

Last Christmas we were traveling up the Silver City Highway towards Broken Hill and on one of the rises I put my foot down (this was middle-of-the-day stuff, aircon going flat out as well). The temp started to rise rapidly - I backed off and everything went back to normal.

Drive it in a reasonable manner and it will do you very well. Congratulations on your purchase, too!

Interesting Old. Tony about it heating up. We once towed a horsefloat with our R51 (About 1800KG) from Newcastle to Melbourne on a stinking hot day and I did not show it much mercy, even up some of the big climbs on the Melbourne side of Sydney the temperature never budged. I have never seen it climb from the normal running mark under any conditions whatsoever, even mount Pretty Sally when towing my race car on a very hot day. Pretty Sally is about a 5KM climb and quite steep. it is a common spot to see cars pulled up steaming about two thirds of the way up on the first really hot weekend for the year.

I am another vote for an auto trasmission by the way, vastly easier when towing or in traffic. I am just now seriously looking at a manual diesel Xtrail, but that is only because as the replacement for my D22 it will need to be able to occasionally tow my race car on trailer and the auto is by the looks of thing a weak unit, they detune them by 40nm and 17kw AND drop the tow rating by 650kg in an auto diesel Xtrail compared to the manual.

For that stage of the journey, we'd filled up at the IGA Mobil-products servo in Wentworth. There's a good chance we got some bio in that - we used 19.02LPHK yet the tank before (filled at Shell in Warracknabeal) gave us 16.34LPHK.

The tank after that - from Shell Wilcannia - 24.82LPHK, it's still the worst figures I've ever had, and will do everything I can to never, ever stop for fuel in Wilcannia again. Thankfully the heat of the day hadn't arrived before we could fill up in Cobar - we'd gone 265.7km and used 65.94 litres of diesel.

I went manual, as a 4x4 person off road driving autos have their place on beaches and sand where you lose no momentum changing gears, the down side is if you get in rocky tracks, you will be forever riding the brake pedal, manuals have a lower idle and edge their way along.... thats my 3c worth (2c plus GST)

Latest posts

Back