Are the Jap YD25 down on power?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hedgie

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Car:
I have a Jap built 2008 2.5CR owned it since 50XXX now 100XXX, Bullbar, snorkel, K&N, EGR mod, 265/75 and rear bar. serviced it myself every 5k penrite and filter and serviced to logbook every interval.

Question:
Is it normal for me to get smoked by my mates thai built D22?
I never thought anything of it other then a different turbo I read somewhere.
Are the Jap YD25 known to be slugs?

The reason im asking:
On the weekend when my mechanic mate didn't believe me It couldn't rip a skid in the bush, he proceeded to drop the clutch at 4k and get nothing but a chirp on the dirt he told me there is something wrong with it and to replace the timing chain to get my power back rather then my planned 3" and chip. Its been the same since i've owned it.

Cheers, Hedgie

Last edited:
Never heard of anyone having power issues before their timing chain let go

Your right that doesn't sound right. My Thai 126kw st auto with 285/75/16 tyres can manage a wheel stand, just! Could be just about anything. Fuel and air is where I would start. Any diesel engine will make power with those two. Perhaps the turbo is duff.

I was also thinking different gear ratios. I know the d22 zd30 (japan built) has a different gear ratio, to the d22 yd25 (Thailand built)

i think the first cr yd25 d22's had same diff ratio as zd30 which made them very sluggish. later ones got lower ratio diff.

I was under the impression the d22 has been built in Thailand since 2006, what letters have you got at the start of your vin? There is definitely something wrong with your yd25, even with taller ratios it should be able to do a decent burnout, could be heaps of things, boost leak, air blockage, injectors, fuel pump, limp mode, clutch or driveline issue, internal engine issue, ect...
Reset the ecu to start with, I would take it to Nissan for diagnostics if that didn't help.

I was under the impression the d22 has been built in Thailand since 2006,
2006 was last year for zd30. no production 2007 as factory was shifted to thailand.
2008 first year of yd25 common rail but not sure if first ones where made in japan or not.

2006 was last year for zd30. no production 2007 as factory was shifted to thailand.
2008 first year of yd25 common rail but not sure if first ones where made in japan or not.
As far as I'm aware they were jap built. They have the shorter tub and ribbed tailgate.

according to the manual, common rail d22's at least first edition is from japan, same as 2002 non common rail yd25 we got in europe and zd30...
1280_1024new.jpg

Definitely jap built has it on the plate. my research is that they were 08-09 D22 YD25 then 2010 started building the D22 in Thailand

Just cleaned the MAF so will see if that makes a difference.

It doesn't blow any soot even before the EGR mod another thing I noticed.

Ill see if I can get my mates side by side at 100 and see what RPM he sitting on to check diff ratios, don't really want to pull it out to check that as yet.

I guess what I wanted to know if it was normal or if I should be looking into other issues and now I will! Damn Genuine Snorkel has always bugged me how restrictive it is

i believe the gear ratio should be written on the metal of the diff casing, at least mine is along with LSD marking

Early 08 model D22's had the 4.375 diffs (such as mine). Out of factory yes they are a bit of a slug but after a chip and proper tune it will be a lot better

Early 08 model D22's had the 4.375 diffs (such as mine). Out of factory yes they are a bit of a slug but after a chip and proper tune it will be a lot better

Yeah mines Apr 08 so that would be the case then. Now that you say it, that really does feel where the powers going. Engine runs like a dream.

Cheers, Hedgie

Back