Anyone interested in D22 recovery points?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digbyj

Reaction score
Hey all,
Other than a set on eBay which have gone I'm struggling to find recovery points for a D22.
Was looking at having some fabricated and have spoken with someone who said he can make something very similar to a pic I showed him. This would be similar to the Outback Ideas one which no one seems to stock.
It would be made from 10mm steel and then electroplated and powdercoated (yes which will then scratch off and can be paint touched up).
They will not be load rated or tested though, but from people I have spoken to and other points I've seen not all of them do get rated anyway.
The holes would be drilled for fitment to the captive nuts in the chassis using high tensile bolts.
Would think they would come in around $80 to $90 for 2 points but no bolts.
Just seeing if it's worth getting a few sets made, and if anyone has any other comments, ideas, thoughts, suggestions, criticisms, abuse or dirty jokes for me.
Cheers, Marcus

Hey mate.

Might be interested in a set. Are the Outback Ideas ones made from 10 thick plate also do you know? Probably like to see a set made before i commit, although there isn't much to them is there, one bend and 3 holes.lol

Pete

Are all the D22 captive nuts the same distance apart? Mine is an 08 and I think they are 76mm centres?

I'd be interested, even unpainted.
Not a real fan of powder coating as I always end up wire brushing and repainting all the powdercoated stuff I have as it peels off anyway.

Mines an 05 and I think the distance is around 70-72mm, must be a Jap vs Thai built difference (wow listen to me, I've been on this forum too long! Haha).
Nah there's not much too them just a big chunk of steel, a couple of cuts, a bend and the holes. Will probably just get the shackle hole round so it can just be drilled.
Was gonna get them made today but thought I'd see if anyone else wants some.
If there's not much interest I'll probably just put some cold gal on them and spray paint them.

if i recall one side is slightly different to the other. Couple of mm i think it was, maybe?

lol, would prefer you to measure them with verniers mate, just to be sure.:big_smile: I'm a mechanical draftsman, like stuff to be precise..haha

:sarcastic::sarcastic: 76mm ....Navara tolerances are +- 50mm. thats not too bad since they were aiming for 60mm apart.
Slot the holes.

I really think that the factory "tie down points" are sufficient if used correctly. They will take alot of force in a direct line but when pulled from off centre they do fold. I have witnessed and been part of several recoveries using them. Some good, some bad.
Perhaps recovery technique and the use of snatch straps needs to be emphasised and dont just rely on bigger steel to solve the problem.

Softly softly is better than wham bam thank you ma'm.
There are some very deep holes out in Wombat full of mud and water if anyone has a dunger to submerge and everyone can practice recovery on?

I'll get a few sets made up when I've got some spare cash so might be a few weeks.
terryc - no worries, Aido - it's just more of an insurance policy to save what happened to heata.
Was also thinkin that if heata and ridgie have these points on their Navs that the hole locations must be same on both models. I'll check what heata bought...

I'll get a few sets made up when I've got some spare cash so might be a few weeks.
terryc - no worries, Aido - it's just more of an insurance policy to save what happened to heata.
Was also thinkin that if heata and ridgie have these points on their Navs that the hole locations must be same on both models. I'll check what heata bought...

I know people have been slotting the holes slightly to make them fit, not sure what models though and think its only a couple of millimeters. Might try and measure mine up tonight.

There are a few places that make similar ones like the Outback Idea Points for Landcruisers and Patrols. I emailed one to see what hole centres they use, might be able to slot one of the holes slighty to make them fit.

Pete

Last edited:
That's why I'm gettin them made, appears 80/100 series cruisers and gu patrols are both 60 mm apart. I rang around a few places and emailed the eBay ones.

That's why I'm gettin them made, appears 80/100 series cruisers and gu patrols are both 60 mm apart. I rang around a few places and emailed the eBay ones.

Noworries.

Depending how much steel they leave on either side of the holes, you could just slot both holes by 8mm. That would open it up to 76mm. Bit hard to tell though without knowing the length of it also. Wouldnt want to leave it to thin on the sides.

here's a pic of the ones i have on my gq in case you guys wanted an idea of what they look like, about 10mm thick and can be found for cheaper than the 110 i paid, used them quite a few times including being very very stuck in mud and they're easily up to the job
IMAG0162.jpg

When making these make sure that outback ideas actualy bend theres and not cast or forge them. Because if you bend them it makes weak points in them and then by drilling holes in them can weaken them again. Just make sure you check all that info out first.

Latest posts

Back